1980 Suzuki DT85 weak fire, won't start

dodger34

Cadet
I'm a Newby to outboards and I live in what must not be a hotbed of Suzuki service centers . I am an electrician but troubleshooting an outboard is another matter. I have troubleshot using a Clymer manual. It does not provide voltages for input vs output to the coils etc. so I'm working a little in the blind. Mail order support has been expensive and not very effective! I sent my CDI unit off for troubleshooting by a "trained" Suzuki dealer... a replacement was sent back but it did not solve the problem and He is so sure that mine was bad he would.t send mine back. (More info off the list if desired). To be fair, another service technician sent used replacement Mag coil and trigger coil. No better luck. I do apologize in advance for not perusing all of the back lists but this is obviously a thriving forum.. <br />Any Ideas?? <br />Dodger<br />If no answers to above question I'd be interested in info about GOOD service shops for Suzuki in the Eastern Kansas/Western Missouri areas.

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1980 Suzuki DT85 weak fire, won't start

I know it is back to the basics, and you may have already done this, but how's the battery? If the battery is weak or the starter is dragging, the seconday voltage, (spark) will be weak. I suggest pulling all the spark plugs out of the engine. Then use one plug to test each plug wire. Connect a plug wire to the plug. Don't put it back in the engine, leave all plugs out. Tape, strap or hold the plug against any medal part of the head. turn the ignition to run, not start. Crank the eninge with a rope. What does your spark look like now? What do you plug wires look like. Some wires have caps that actually screw onto the wire. If yours are like this, you may want to unscrew the caps, clip 1/2 in off of the wire, and screw it back on. IF your plup wires have caps that are molded on, don't try to remove them.

dodger34

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas. I've tried nearly all of the items you mentioned. The starter does seem to drag but I had the starter checked out by a shop. No problems. The battery is new. At the suggestion of the second tech, I removed the suppressors from the end of the plug wires and installed a elbow connector. Still no real spark...

Dunlop

Cadet

Hi there.Are you sure that your lanyard is connected. I realize this is pre basics, but I have seen it missed before.I would check all your conections and grounds before you spend a pile of money and time for no reason. Scotty...

darnold

Seaman Apprentice

I have an '82 DT 85 and have had no problem with the ignition or starting except if I choke it too much and oil foul the plugs. Are you sure that the ignition is the problem? How do you know? I don't mean to be condescending but I know by learning the hard way that if you aren't working on the right problem the solution doesn't matter. Good luck!

dodger34

Cadet

No idea is too basic! I'm ready to retry all of the things I have done prviously. The plugs do not look fouled. I have also removed the kill circuit and tried to start the boat. I will try cleaning/replacing the plugs. <br />How about the problem with the starter dogging down. With the plugs out it turns OK. Also I have tried to turn it over with the plugs in but disconnected. Still it's hesitant. When the motor ran it would start hard but run good. All Ideas are welcome!<br />Dodger

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dodger34,<br /><br />I'll try to stay with you on this one. We'll see if we can get it fixed. Pull the all plugs. Connect one to the plug wire. Hold it against the engine. Crank the starter. Is the spark Blue or is it Orange? Regap a plug at .020 and test it again, is the spark consistant or is it eratict? Regap the plug at .080 and run the same test. Is the spark consistant or is it eratict? If you will give me these three answers, we can go from there. :)

dodger34

Cadet

I'll do the sparkplug tests on Friday.<br />That's my day off and I'm working 12 1/2 hrs a day.<br />not much time to play... :(

dodger34

Cadet

The answers to the fire on the spark plugs<br />0, 0, 0<br />No fire, I checked the kill switch, took all of the plugs out so it turns fast. Finally held on to the plug wire... not even a tingle. Last fall I know I had enough for a weak spark. now nothing<br /><br /> :(

cclemon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dodge,<br /><br />Man I'm sorry. No spark is a lot different the weak spark. The only thing I know to suggest from here, without spending a lot of money, would be to pull the flywheel and verify you don't have anything scrapping or any metal filings collected between two magnets. Rust is not a problem, as long as it doesn't grow between the magnets.