Two Stage Reeds, are they worth it?

fin addict

Cadet
I've been thinking of changing my reeds to the two stage type. I have a 95 yamaha pro 150 that won't idle worth a ****. Any assistance would be graetly appriciated. :rolleyes: I see that Boyesen are manufacturing these two stage reeds and claim they help correct the coughing at idle.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Two Stage Reeds, are they worth it?

Howdy, Addict. I've been messing about with 2 stroke engines for about 50 years, but I quit modifying them about 30 years ago.<br /><br />I've never heard of these "two stage" reeds. What are they supposed to do and how do they do it?<br /><br />Are you interested in curing a rough idle problem or in achieving some other goal? There are a lot of smooth idling Yammys around that don't have any after-market parts.<br /><br />Let us know.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Boyesen two stage reeds are very good but they do not, as JB mentioned, cure idle problems. In fact they encourage you to make sure your motor idles good to start with. The big advantage of the two stage reeds is at the higher RPM range. The "coughing" at idle that you refer to is due to a lean condition and is about the only thing that hurts the Boyesen reeds. <br /><br />Good luck!

its-a-sweater

Seaman

JB AND DH ARE RIGHT. ITS BEEN MY EXPERIENCE THAT THE YAMAHAS ARE ABOUT THE NICEST IDLING V6'S AROUND. IF IT WON'T IDLE RIGHT, THERES SOMETHING ELSE GOING ON.<br /><br />I WOULD SUSPECT LEAN ALSO. THE REEDS WON'T HELP WITH THE CONDITION YOURE LOOKING AT.

fin addict

Cadet

Thanks for all the replys, I didn't replace the gaskets when I cleaned the carbs. I'll go ahead and get the kits and replace all the gaskets and seals. Any body recommend a certain kit manufacture or stick with yamaha.<br />and I'll check the screw setting. i think it is 1 3/8 turn out.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, I HAVE heard of Boyesen reeds, but I had not heard them called "two stage" before.<br /><br />Say, DHadley, I remember using "softer" reeds on racing Kart engines but I haven't run into "two stage" terminology. How does it work?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

fin addict

Cadet

Boyesen shows them on there web site. They are two reeds and one of them come with ahole or slot in it. They claim that it improves the idle situation.

fin addict

Cadet

I have noticed that the plugs are running really wet. Is it ok to step up to one hotter plug. Also I have been running 93 octain Amoco fuel, should I drop it down to 87 octain? The compression on the motor is fine. 115-120 all around. I guess that's ok. I only use YAMAHA oil in it.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

I think another big advantage is they dont use reed stops and that allows them to open farther than a steel reed could without breaking. <br /><br />I've used and sold a lot of them and I think they are great especially on high RPM motors.<br /><br />Good luck!

sloopy

Commander

whats there web site?

sloopy

Commander

whats there web site?

jobassing

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i put boysen reeds on my 90 evienrude and it made a big diff through out the rpm range it didn't really help the idle but it is alot smoother and gets out of the water faster

Forktail

Ensign

The Boyesen's are good. The two stage reed has a combinaiton of a softer reed for low rpm performance and a stiffer reed for the higher rpm. They may also flow a little higher volume of air.<br /><br />Standard reeds are usually one stage (one pedal) which is a compromise for different rpm's.<br /><br />The Boyesen's probably won't help with the idle problem though.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Hey guys,<br />I have an 88 Force 125 engine, well we all know how Force engines are. Well anyways I put the Boyesen reeds in it, and they made a world of difference from idle all the way up to WOT. I love them, and think it was the best 100 bucks I could have spent on performance for that engine. I am running it really rich, about 3 turns out is what Boyesen said to start with, and I haven't had time to tweak it or lean it out yet.<br /><br />On my engine they made a huge difference on how it ran. There website is located at: http://www.boyesen.com/products/outboard/index.html <br /><br />Here are what they say from their website. Which I can say that on my older engine all of this was true. I turn my Key now and it will crank first try, always took a few cranks before. I got about 300 Rpms higher on top end. Idle is so perfect now, and extremely smooth. The hole shot, was never there before, but now it will jerk my 200lbs out of the water on a wakeboard (17 Pitch Prop). I never had acceleration as I do now on this boat. I have been extremly happy with what these reeds did to bring a new life to my engine. <br /><br />FASTER STARTS! No more sitting and cranking while the other guys are heading for your honey hole. With Boyesen Power Reeds, your outboard performs great from the instant you turn the key! <br /><br />SMOOTHER IDLE! No more coughing, sputtering and dying. Boyesen Power Reeds smooth out the rough spots and cure coughing outboards! <br /><br />FASTER HOLE SHOT! When you bury the throttle at blastoff time, your Boyesen-equipped outboard will leap into action and put you out front of the pack! <br /><br />BLAZING ACCELERATION! Boyesen Power Reeds increase your outboard's acceleration so dramatically that they're banned on the B.A.S.S. Tournament Trail! (Registered trademark of Bass Anglers Sportsman Society of America, Inc. <br /><br />SMOOTHER TROLLING! An outboard equipped with Boyesen Power Reeds will troll down to a heartbeat, allowing more precise bait or lure presentation! <br /><br />INCREASED FUEL ECONOMY! Because they're far more efficient than ordinary reeds, Boyesen Power Reeds can make your outboard up to 10% more fuel efficient! <br /><br />INCREASED RPM AND TOP-END! Boyesen Power Reeds deliver a 100 to 300 rpm boost to your outboard, together with top-end performance designed to put you on the winning track! <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox<br />MTU

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

so I can tell my wife they will actually save<br />money right....it's not an expense then. <br />nice :cool: <br />what kinda of labor time would be billable for<br />this upgrade.<br />right on!<br />M.Y.

Bry21317

Chief Petty Officer

Yea really! :) <br /><br />It took me about 3 hours to install them, not to long for what I got out of it. <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Bryan Cox

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

right on! :) <br />anyone know what the dealer book has for billable<br />hours?

BillP

Captain

Rough idle, wet plugs...also a sign of cold engine. Do you have a temp gauge? Has the thermostat been removed? Check this before changing reeds or buying other mods. It happend to me.