Hard starting Suzuki

davidd267

Cadet
After running 38 miles then sitting for 2-3 hours my 95 225 horse fuel injected suzuki wouldnt start, I ran the starter for about 15-20 seconds then went and pumped the primer bulb ran the starter again 15 secs, let it sit for 1 minute then after about 20 seconds of cranking it started. This has happened 3 times in the last month. Other times it fires within 5 seconds of cranking.I have tested the batteries and taken to carrying a extra one. I have new plugs and wires and am carefull to let the electric pump run before I engage the starter. I would just live with this "problem" if I was in the bay or within sight of land but it is giving me pause to shut this moter off when well offshore. Would leaving the engine running be a viable option given the fact that at idle speed the voltmeter shows a discharge? The alternater is rated at a measely 25 amps. I have a 25 foot aquasport cuddy cabin WOT =5100 rpm with 140 gallons of fuel and full bait well is it over proped? <br /><br /> :eek:

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard starting Suzuki

Leaving it run is not the answer. Is the choke working? Does it have any effect? When the pump runs after the key is turned-on,does it stop once pressure is up to normal?<br />A}: Check the compression before next trip out.<br /><br />B:} Try a decarbon Cleaner.<br /><br />C}: Carry a can of WD40 with you on your next trip. If, after 5seconds, the engine desn't start, pull the bonnet,and spray a burst of WD40 into the throttle body. Try starting again. It should fire right off,or at least sputter right away. If not, You may have a plugged or restricted exaust port.

davidd267

Cadet
Re: Hard starting Suzuki

#1 The WD is a real good idea thanks.<br />#2 fuel pump stops so fuel pressure is good<br />#3 new plugs were not as new as I thought 150 hours approx. I put NEW plugs in and ran it all weekend with not a problem. Chasing kingfish at idle might have shortened the plug life. Thanks for the help