what do you call these things anyway?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
hey folks, <br /><br />I've been meaning to ask this question for a while, but I have hesitated because it's tricky to describe. My problem is a manual tilt assembly that was broke before I bought the motor, and which is too light for the motor anyway. I'm wondering whether I can weld a solution or if someone else has faced this before and come up with a better solution.<br /><br />I have a 1989 55hp suzuki with manual trim. When you tilt the motor up or down it's just like many small outboards. Two "slideguides" attached to the motor on either side acting as tracks for two aluminum "studs" that project from the motor mount. On one side the slideguide is spring loaded and has a notch where the stud rests when the motor is tilted up, while on the other side the slide guide strictly guides, and is not weight bearing. That means all the weight of the motor rests on one stud when its tilted up. Did I lose you?<br /><br />Okay, if you're still with me, on my motor the "supporting" stud was broken off before I bought it, probably from being trailered while "up". Someone drilled out a 3/8 hole through the motor mount where it used to be, and rigged a replacement stud using a 3/8 bolt and some fender washers. This works but eventually fails because the bolt isn't strong enough to take the weight and also is not locked in place so it moves, bends and is also slowly widening the hole. Plus I have to take it off everytime I trailer or it breaks, which is a pain.<br /><br />My question is, can you get a replacement "stud" from somewhere and weld it in? Keep in mind that there's very little access here and the potential weldpoint is inside the hollow of one side of the motor mount. Has anybody done this or come up with a better fix?<br /><br />If so, how do I prevent this fix from breaking when I trailer?

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what do you call these things anyway?

hi Dave i dont think you can weld the stud in, its steel the clamp is aluminum.i have seen somthing called a transom saver you might take a look at it. i think it supports the motor from the trailer some how. how wide are the slots in the guide plates?

Fouled Plug

Ensign

There is a trailer accessory that goes between the trailer and lower unit to take the strain off of the lock or trim system while trailering. its exact name escapes me at the moment, but picture a rod with two "Y's" at the end. One rests on the trailer, one supports the motor. It telescoopes to adjust. Should be easy enough to cook one up at home. Don't know the best way to weld your bracket, as those materials seem to be kind of tricky. Hope this helps, at any rate.

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Norman, thanks for the terminology lesson! I think I inherited my problem with naming stuff from my mother, who still calls fishing line "string". The guideplate slots are probably 3/4" wide or maybe up to 1" but to tell truth I've never measured -- I just know a large fender washer for a 3/8 bolt has lots of overlap. Also, I was thinking of welding in an aluminum stud, but I've got no experience welding aluminum and I know it melts real good.<br /><br />Thanks Fouled Plug and Mike, the trailer based support is very interesting and the price is right -- I am going to go down to Steveston Marine here this weekend and see if they have one so I can check it out directly. Of course, that still leaves tilting the motor when beaching etc...

sirlespat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

WHERE BOLTS OR STUDS ARE STRIPPED OUT I HAVE HAD A LOT OF SUCCESS WITH A PRODUCT CALLED RECOIL. BASICALLY YOU DRILL OUT THE HOLE AND USING A SPECIAL TAP TAP A THREAD INTO IT.<br />THEN YOU INSTALL A STAINLESS STEEL SPRING THAT HAS A STD THREAD INSIDE. REALLY EASY AND SOFAR HAS NOT LET ME DOWN. BAD NEWS IS THE KIT CAN BE ABOUT 25USD BECAUSE OF THE TAP BUT LOTS OF REPAIR SHOPS MAY INSTALL ONE CHEAPLY. IT IS REALLY EASY AND QUICK<br />OTHER BRAND NAME IS HELICOIL BUT MAKE SURE IT IS A HIGH QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL SPRING

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dave can you run a 3/8 tap in the hole? i might have just the thing to fix that in my junk box will look tommorow and see if i can find it

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

A stainless steel helicoil's a really great idea, although I'm a little worried it'll sacrifice the aluminum when moored in salt water so maybe I'll zinc the mount directly. I used helicoil's on my old VW van but I guess of course there's a marine brand. I'll look into Recoil.<br /><br />Norman, I'm interested but I don't know if I can tap a 3/8 in any more, I've got quite a bit of wear and play now and was thinking of drilling out the hole to fit a 1/2" before the helicoil idea. Plus a 3/8" stud is a little skinny if I'm going to try a permanent fix.

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok Dave i found it,what i have is a shoulder bolt 3/8 threaded section 5/8 long 1/2 shoulder 1 1/4 long with a 3/4 head total length 2 1/8 will this work?

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Norman, wow that's pretty close! It just might fit although I'd definitely need a recoil to hold it in there, because there wouldn't be room for a bolt. I will measure first. I prob will not get to the boat this weekend, so it may take me a couple of weeks to get back to you. Thanks a bunch!

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok Dave if you want to try this let me know