Drowned Yammy 130

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I just got home from a trip to pick up a boat I bought from a salvage outfit. It originally had a '92 Yamaha 130 on it.<br /><br />That engine, with all of the cables and harness cut, and unbolted from the transom, lay under salt water long enough to grow some barnacles. I think someone tried to steal it without realizing he wasn't going to pick up 400# and walk away with it, and dropped it. It is now lying in the cockpit of the boat. All controls and instruments are intact in the console.<br /><br />It has 145 hours on the meter and a SS prop (I haven't checked the pitch yet.)<br /><br />Anyone have any interest in this engine, or suggestions?<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Drowned Yammy 130

Hey,JB. I tohught we were goin fishin.<br />If it were mine, I'd remove the lower unit,and other operating parts, and sell them on Ebay. You might even get enough greenage to repower that BW.

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd say sell it for whatever you can get and put a new/used engine on her. Although If it's been in the water that long the salt has probably rendered the internal/externl engine parts useless. <br />How's the SS prop? It strikes me that if its still in decent shape it may be the part that brings in the best price once you get the tarnish off it.

JB

Ahoy, 12Footer! I thought about calling you and loading some tackle in the truck, but I had to be back here by today so my smaller grandchildren can surprize me and my oldest Grandson tomorrow morning on our B'day. <br /><br />Fear not, Matey, sometime in the early Spring this Outrage and I are coming back to FL so you can take me fishing in the Gulf, then we will go to the other side and get into some blue water.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

captn1stmate.jpg
<br /><br />I CAN RELATE, AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

JB

Well, here's an update and a couple of questions.<br /><br />I got the engine out of the boat and got the bonnet off. Under the bonnet is almost NO evidence that she was ever underwater. <br /><br />Pulled the plugs. . .some evidence of water, but very little. Shot WD-40 into the cylinders and gently rocked the flywheel back and forth a little further each time. In a few minutes I could turn her through with no feel of grinding or resistance. No water pumped out of the plug holes.<br /><br />Prop turns freely. Steering cable shaft moves freely in the tilt tube, shift and throttle controls move freely.<br /><br />Does this sound like an engine that can be made to run again without a lot of expense?<br /><br />Is this 1992, 130HP V4 Yammy a looper or cross flow?<br /><br />Thanks for info.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

norman158

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB <br />what are you out if you try and fire her up?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

JB...I've been in the same situation, only in fresh water...took the carbs off and cleaned the water out...wd40 in cylinders and electrical...dried her up and fired her up...ran till it was warm...put it back on the boat and she runs good even ten years later...I don't know what problems the salt will cause, maybe you need to get it running soon as possible then hose off the outside to remove salt from electrical components, dry it off then run it again and dry it off. This is what I might do, maybe there are some better solutions out there from sailors with the experience in saltwater bath. I don't think it would hurt to get it running soon as possible.<br />Thought101

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

The fact that you have already had to free this motor up should tell you something.That crud that caused you to have to rock the flywheel back and forth is still in there.Rod bearings ,rings ,main bearings,all steel on steel,not to mention the crank itself.My suggestion would be ,tear it down, replace all bearings and rings,case and crank should still be good if you get to this in a hurry.If you decide on the just run it up option ,I would first fire it off on the flusher and let it run with doubled up oil at least a hour or so.Take it to the ramp then but stay close and carry a kicker or a couple good oarsmen.Good luck.

byordy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mornin' JB<br />I agree with Honden. I just recently finished reassembling my 175 Evinrude which had been under water for some time. It took a four foot cheater bar and a 5 pound brass hammer to free it up enough to disasemble. It freed up nicely, but was full of sand, barnacles, and other assorted crud. Like yours the outside of the motor looked pretty good. <br />I replaced rings, bearings, etc., cleaned it well, and put it back together. It started with no problems and seems to run ok.<br />Pull it apart, replace the items that are damaged, put it back together, and you'll most likely have a good motor. If you do try to run it, and it does come apart it probably will do major (read expensive) damage.<br />Good Luck,<br />Bill.........

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the world coming to? J.B. asking advice, instead of giving advice!!! :D <br />J.B. like others have already posted that salt WILL kill at least the bearings if nothing else. You might get it to run the way it is, assuming the electronics aren't<br />ruined.However it's a question of how long it will run.I sure wouldn't have any faith in that engine. When (if) it does crap out it will probably be in worse shape than what you have now.<br /> I'd definitely go for a tear down and rebuild if everything looked OK and worth rebuilding. You really have no idea of how this engine was before it went swimming.<br /> Another option is just sell it as is and forget about it.

manowar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw a Johnson 90 drown in saltwtaer it was new a thorough flushing and new plugs made it run again your motor might salvage sounds like stuff is turning already are you gonna continue

JB

Thanks for all the input, gentlemen. Problem solved: I sold it this morning to a fellow who has experience rehabbing salt water drowned engines. Now I have a good down payment on that 4 stroke I wanted all along.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

MIKE F

Petty Officer 1st Class

All right, that was the smartest thing to do. ;) <br />Are you going with a Suzuki?

JB

Well, Mike, I really like the Suzi DF70 I have on the Montauk, and I've heard some great things about the upcoming Suzi DF140 (can you believe a 140hp 4 stroke that only weighs 415 lb?), but I'm not going to rush it. Intro of the big (?) Suzi just might cause chaos in the used upper-mid-range-4-stroke market. Anything in the 115 to 150 range will suit that Outrage just fine.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Jacques321

Petty Officer 2nd Class

J.B.<br /><br />I assume you've considered the Suzuki DF90 and DF115? Do you find these models a little heavy for the rated HP. I don't blame you on considering the new lighter 140.<br /><br />On the other hand have you taken a look at the specifications of the Yamaha F100. I've seen one in action on our lake and they run real smooth and are quite powerful engines. As well, the weight difference comparing the Suzuki 90/115 is a whopping 70lbs! <br /><br />Judging by the engine(4-Stroke DOHC in-line 4 cylinder, 4 valves per cylinder with long track pulse-tuned intake manifold and digital sequential multi-point fuel injection)and even carrying that extra weight I'll bet you the Suzuki 90/115's can hold their own against the competition.

JB

Ahoy, Jacques. We have been thinking along the same lines, with one exception: The Yammy 100 is carbureted, so out of the list.<br /><br />The Yammy 115EFI is an excellent candidate, but I am hoping that the intro of the Suzi 140 will drive the horsepower on that engine up to the 140-150 range.<br /><br />The Suzi 90-115-140EFI are essentially the same engine in different states of tune, and the intro of the 140 should put a lot of near-new 115s into the used market.<br /><br />The Honda 115-130EFI are easiest to find on the used market and likely to be easiest to buy.<br /><br />All three of the above makers have the technology and experience to get an honest 200 hp from their current largest inline 4s, so I expect a horsepower race in the 100-200hp and under 450 pounds range in the next few years.<br /><br />I will be watching the used 115 to 130 market and, when the time seems right and the price seems right, I'll buy one and not look back.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)