yamaha outboards

ghostrider

Seaman
i'm buying a boat with a 1988 yamaha pro-v 150hp. the motor has a rebuilt power head and rebuilt carbs. is this a reliable motor? anyone have horror stories or glory stories out there about this year motor? :rolleyes: :confused:

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: yamaha outboards

Hi, '69.<br /><br />Welcome to the board.<br /><br />You got this in the wrong place.<br /><br />I am moving it to Outboard Engine Questions.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

ghostrider

Seaman

thanks JB! that was my first post on the forum. i'm still hoping to get an answer from someone. :(

ghostrider

Seaman

i'm goin to get this right yet. the motor in question is a 1988 yamaha pro-v 150, 6j9 serial #301733

macojoe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to the best site on the net!! (At least my opion). I also just bought a 1989 175hp Yamaha and hoping that this will be a good motor. A lot of people here said that they like them ok. I used this site for info before I bought it and they were great in giving it to me.<br /> What size boat did you get? I am putting mine on a V20 Wellcraft. :)

ghostrider

Seaman

thanks for the welcome . i hope to feel the same way about this site as you do. :) the motor is on a boat that i'm getting ready to buy. it's a fisher sv 19 gt and the hull and trailer appear to be in excellent condition. i'm going for a test run next week. i'll let you know how it performs. i plan to check another forum in this site for info on the hull.

Forktail

Ensign

These were good dependable outboards.<br /><br />But any used outboard is only as good as how well it was used and maintained. Maintenance records and the number of hours the outboard ran are more important than age. And any rebuilt outboard is only as good as the rebuilder. Find out who did it and ask around about his rep. :) <br /><br />Congrats on your purchase.

ghostrider

Seaman

thanks for the info forktail! the boat and motor belong to the owner of indy boat company here in indy. i'm buying the owners personal boat. i will be test running the boat next week and intend to put it through the paces. just hope my ears don't freeze to the side of my head. ;)

ghostrider

Seaman

Is there anyone else out there that has any experience with these motors. i sure hope so my purchase date is close at hand. HELP with some info.

Peter O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi 1969, do a search on "Yamaha" at the top of the page. I researched in early 2002 and this board gave me tons of input on Yamaha vs Merc vs Bombardier etc. I ended up with a yamaha 75hp. Good luck.

Capt Ken

Commander

How good that engine is depends on who did the rebuilding. If it hadn't been rebuilt and everything checked out OK, I'd say go for it. But since its been rebuilt, its now out of Yamaha's hands and in the hands of who rebuilt it. If the rebuilder is experienced in Yamahas and did everything correct, then the engine should be a very good engine. If ole Bubba from down the road did the repairs, then you may not have much to work with.

Combee

Seaman Apprentice

1969,<br /><br />Yamaha’s are great motor’s (in my option). I have a 1993 200 Pro-V that has been run only in saltwater for the last ten years. This motor will fire up first crank every time. But also this motor has been very well maintained over the last ten years. Like other people said on this board that motor is only as good as the person who rebuilt it. Pay the money to have a certified Yamaha mechanic to give it a once over. Check the compression, take a look at the lower unit oil…<br /><br />Good luck and let us know how you do.<br /><br />Dan

ghostrider

Seaman

Peter O and Combee; Thanks for the advice. I agree the rebuild is only as good as the rebuilder, therefore i will have the motor checked by a yamaha builder here in indy. I really appreciate this forum for the advice and shared problems and successes of other boaters. This forum will help me to maintain my boat better than ever. I wont again feel that i'm at the mercy of a service department or mechanic. :cool: