25hp 2 cyl how to disconnect shift shaft ??

wvtex

Recruit
motor is Mercury 2 cyl serial range 5705532-6416712 I am trying to remove lower unit to replace water pump impeller.It drops about 1 1/2"<br />and hangs by shift shaft.Diagram I found on web site shows rubber boot and retainer at bottom.I see boot but not retainer.Do I disconnect at top of shaft and if so how??

bryancx94

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 25hp 2 cyl how to disconnect shift shaft ??

At the top of the shift shaft, right above the rubber seal there is an e-clip. If you remove this clip you should be able pull the shaft out. If you cannot lower the unit low enough to remove this clip, I would suggest removing the prop and prop shaft and taking out the gears. I'm not sure if your gearcase has a screw or something that secures the shift shaft to the shift cam that maybe holding it up.<br /><br />From the looks of it, it seems there is a roller pin that holds the shaft to the cam.<br /><br /> http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/...ection/ServiceParts/PartSelectionframeSet.asp

wvtex

Recruit
Re: 25hp 2 cyl how to disconnect shift shaft ??

I removed the side covers (cowling) and found a clip on a horizontal shift shaft which is under carburetors.This allowed disconnection of vertical shaft which in turn allowed removal of gear housing and access to water pump.