1963 Kiekhaefer merc 500 No Spark!

dragonz868

Recruit
Hey guys, I just bought a merc 500 model 4d-3 serial 1569513 From what I can find it's a 63<br />It is not getting any spark, Do I need the control cables and wires to get spark? I didn't get any of that with it and it looks like thats the only way to get power to the distrib.???? Is there anywhere to get a online manual, like in pdf format or something? Thanks in advance!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1963 Kiekhaefer merc 500 No Spark!

No you don't need cables, if you don't have spark disconnect the kill wire and the wire from the mecury switch and ck again for spark, if you still don't have spark remove the mag and ck the pts. cond and coil pt gaps .009 to .011 or 48 degrees dwell

dragonz868

Recruit

Ok sorry, but you lost me! New to this whole boat motor thing! One I dont have Merc switch no switch of any kind! Just motor with no switch's on it at all! 2 would the points not be under the flywheel? If so I don't think this motor has any... The base of this flywheel seems really small to have anything like that under it. I could be wrong but the flywheel it self cones down underneith to about an inch and a half. The sparkplug wires come out of this seperate thing that swings and the only wires going to that is one that goes back to the big round plug on the side that I don't have anything to pluginto and a small groundwire. So I can't see how any power could get to where spark plug wires are! If you could please walk threw it a bit more step by step. Not bad with small motors and car motors. Never played with boats. If I am wrong sorry please be patient!

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the merc switch is also referred to as the kill switch. it is mounted on the inside of the motor somewhere. it will look like a plastic cylindar 1 inch long .5 in diameter. not a key switch. follow all of the plug wires from the plugs and tell us where they lead to. maybe if you could post a pic of the engine, it might be helpful for us to point out land marks to ya.

Laddies

Banned

Ok, lets try again, the mag. does not require power to operate, it is grounded to shut off(its the thing that turns back and forth that the plug wires come out the bottom of) it is belt driven the belt come out from underneath the flywheel and is timed to the engine (is the belt there?) If so and the drive wheel on the mag turns you should have spark no spark disconnect the 2 wire from the ground stud and try again, no spark, remove the 2 bolts that hold the plate that has the idle stop and spark advance screws on DO NOT TURN THE ADJUSTMENTS, remove the 4 bolt that hold the mag to the mag tower, gently lower the mag (it has a blind spline so it will only go on 1 way) with the mag lowered remove the mag. cap (2 screws)carefully it's over $100 next remove the ground wire from the cap support, remove the mag from the engine and the other 3 screws and its all right there, PIECE OF CAKE :rolleyes: as you can see you really need a manual there are no short cuts on Mercury motors, there is no substuite for Mercury manuals part number 90-25500

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

im with my michigan neighbor on that one,. your lost with out a manual.i have 6 now and their indaspencable.

dragonz868

Recruit

Laddies Thank you very much I now know exactly what you mean thank you very much! Yes I need a manual. Will get one asafp! Thanks again all!