nylon fitting and hose?

navicache

Cadet
First off I would like to say hello to all you great people here. I am a first timer so please bare with me. <br /><br />I just bought a used boat (1996 Imperial 210 21' w/ 5.7 motor) <br />On the outdrive in the rear I noticed a small rubbber hose ( kinda like a vacuum hose on a car) that was just hanging. Inside the tip was a broken off whitish piece of a nylon fitting. I looked where the hose was resting and sure enough there is a nylon fitting screwed into the lower portion of the outdrive that appears to have the tip broken off. <br /><br />Does anyone know what this fitting and hose are and also is this a common prob and or easy to fix? <br /><br />Thanks for any help.

Laddies

Banned
Re: nylon fitting and hose?

It sounds like a hose for a speedometer pick up that has been broken

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

It can be used with one of these attached to the hull.. <br /><br />
10834_f.jpg

navicache

Cadet

do I need to have that fixed or replaced in order to use the boat?<br />The fitting looks like a tiny vacuum hose adapter and the hose slips over the top of it.<br />I wish I had or knew of a better way to explain it to you, but cant think of any. the only way you can see it is to look at the rear of the outdrive just above the lower unit and prop.

studlymandingo

Commander

That is the pitot tube for the speedometer. The boat will run just fine without it. <br /><br />Is the tube coming out of the transom of the boat, or is it coming out of the outdrive itself?<br /><br />Many units have a built-in pitot in the lower unit, lots of people do not use them as many prefer the accuracy of GPS over the water pressure type speedo.