225 EFI OUTBOARD

TIM GRADIE

Cadet
hi my name is tim . i have been offered to buy a pair of 225 efi mercury outboard motors brand new at a really good price. i have no knowledge on these motors. could i get some pros and cons on these motors as i am going to spend more money on these motors than what my boat cost me .thanks tim

Dead Eye

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 225 EFI OUTBOARD

All I can say is strong. I have a 2002 and it rocks. It's on a 25ft Proline CC. I'm having a little head temp isue i think it will be resolved this weekend with a new poppit valve. Good luck.<br /> Dead Eye

perryk

Cadet

I've run two on a 28 bayliner trophy, new in 1998. On the plus they are fast when they run. The lower units have gone out many times with good care and with out hitting things, clutch dog material has been changed since then. One lost power at two years old and no mechanic has found a way to bring it back. They have very little torque and want to run either WOT or at idle. In rough seas when throttled back they constantly bog and rev. I will not buy another mercury outboard based on the two 225's I have and older 25's that I've owed. If you were closer I'd sell you mine for a really good price!

phatmanmike

Captain

perryk, yo need a new mechanic.<br /><br />mercury is the number one selling outboard ruond here bar none.<br /><br />to say youll never again get another merc becuase your mechanics are incompetent........<br /><br />your missing out!