ALARM

Ray Fomby

Recruit
I HAVE A PROCRAFT 93 AND IT HAS A 115 MERCURY OUTBOARD. WHEN I TURN IT ON THE ALARM IS SOUNDING. I WAS TOLD TO CHECK THE WIRING. I DID AND IT STILL SOUNDS. CAN ANY ONE HELP ME SHUT IT UP. I KNOW IF I UNPLUG WIRES THEN WHEN A BIGGER PROBLEM COME IT WILL NOT ALERT ME. IT IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. ANY HELP I WOULD BE THANKFUL FOR PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU HAVE A SOLUTION RAYBET43@BELLSOUTH.NET (ALL LOWER CASE)

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: ALARM

Is it a continuous tone or intermittent beep? Intermittent indicates a low oil warning and continuous is an overheat warning.A bad regulator/rectifier can also trigger this alarm {mine did this untill I replaced the regulator}

Ray Fomby

Recruit

the tone is real inconsistent, short spurts,long tones to constant, i can also thump the key and it will change tones,and sometimes stop all together,i will try the wires and get back with you thanks

benson1

Recruit

I have the same prob with my 94 Mariner 60. I replaced the ignition switch yesterday, turned the key to the on position, alarm sounded short beep and went silent for about 1 min. came on again until I thumped the key. I have also looked over wiring and hav'nt found a fix.Checked price of switchbox and would have to be darn shur thats the culprit before replacing it. Will check out regulator/rectifier tom. and post again. If you find something post it here,good luck!

KCLOST

Commander

Is the engine running or just with the ignition turned on and not running?

Ray Fomby

Recruit

how do i tell what year my 115 mercury outboard is. i cant find any thing on the motor like a vin or any kind of number. the paper says it is 89 pro craft. thanks

benson1

Recruit

Key is on engine has been off two days. It's not hot. I can also silence alarm by activating choke by pushing in key. When engine is off or on. This is why I replaced the switch. Which did'nt solve the problem. Hav'nt checked regulator yet.

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Fomby and Benson,<br />per my manual 1992-2000 135 to 200 hp<br />I hope yours is similar,<br />Warning Horn Stays On When Ignition key is On:<br />1. Engine Overheat Sensor<br />2. No Voltage to Warning Horn (+) terminal<br />3. Open Purple Wire Going to warning module<br />4. Faulty Warning Module<br />5. Tan/Blue wire between warning horn and module shorted to ground<br />6. Fill Cap Leaking Air on remote Oil Tank<br />7. Quick Disconnect on remote oil tank is not fully connected<br />8. Remote oil hose (blue Stripe) is blocked<br />9. Remote Pulse Hose is blocked or punctured(second hose) <br />10. Remote Pulse Hose check vALVE is faulty (this valve at the engine end of hose)<br />11. A restricted oil outlet filter in the remote tank.<br /><br />My 2 cents says that if engine is cold and not on then it would be likely #2 thru #5

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fomby - have you noticed any major fluctuations on your voltage gauge needle??

benson1

Recruit

Sleepinin, does your manual have a procedure to test warning module? Over the weekend I checked the sending unit on motor block,by removing it from the engine block which would open the circuit if switch was stuck on.Again engine is off and cold but alarm horn is on.Then I disconected the switch where it connects to wire harness,and grounded tan/blue wire from harness to engine block. At this point horn tone changed.When I removed the wire from block,horn went silent. so I plugged in the switch and grounded it. NO alarm. With switch out of block but still grounded I applied heat to sensor and alarm sounded. all is good. But horn would not stop. I disconnected switch from harness again. Horn stayed on. So I grounded wire again and when it was removed from ground, alarm horn stopped.Ran the boat on sunday alarm came on after about half an hour.Checked voltage with meter and it was very stable.Regulater seemes good. Any thoughts???