115 6 cyl hard to start, bulb won't get firm, then carbs leak fuel

Rex_

Cadet
I recently bought an'85 115 hp inline 6. It's my first motor so I'm not sure what's normal for it and what I should be concerned about. I've read a bunch of posts here and some address some of my problems, but I thought I better ask some questions before I start unbolting things. <br /><br />The first couple times I took it out, it was pretty hard to start but once got going, no problem. The third time out, I couldn't get it started. The priming bulb wouldn't firm up no matter how many times I pumped it, and fuel leaked out of the carbs. <br /><br />Questions:<br />1. I see from other posts that these are notoriously hard to start. What's reasonalble for the amount of cranking to fire it up on normal spring day?<br /><br />2. What is supposed to stop the fuel when you prime it and make the bulb get hard, the check valves in the fuel pump or the floats in the carbs?<br /><br />3. What I should make sure to do/check before taking things apart?<br /><br />4. And if those fail to change anything, should I go in this order (checking if it fixed things after each):<br />a. Rebuild fuel pump. <br />b. Rebuild/clean carbs and adjust floats.<br />c. Buy a canoe.<br /><br />Another mystery (to me anyway) is that my serial number is A191461. Every parts website seems to classify parts by SNs that are numerals only. Does this "A..." motor fit into the "and above" list or something else?<br /><br />Any illumination you can provide on any of the above would be most appreciated.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: 115 6 cyl hard to start, bulb won't get firm, then carbs leak fuel

rebuild your carbs. kits are only 12 bucks.<br /><br />they need lots of fuel to start, almost leaking outa the carbs.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Also check fuel lines for cracks or holes. The bulb could be bad. If carb job don't fix it.

Clams Canino

Commander

Agreed - The carb floats are the final stop for the fuel flow.<br /><br />-W

Rex_

Cadet

Thanks, guys. I'll do that and post the results.

lisfisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what it costs , replace your primer bulb as well. I just had the same issue , my bulb would not firm up , was just pumping air.The check valve inside the bulb went bad.Today's fuel's containing alcohol eat small plastic parts !!

Clams Canino

Commander

I just saw a brand new primer bulb be bad. Factory DOA.<br /><br />-W

joemamma_222

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 78 inline 115 hp. 2 weeks ago I just figured out how to start it. (You'll need a new Line and Bulb to begin with...) <br /> When cold starting...Move the warm up lever all the way up. Push and hold the choke. Start cranking and keep holding the choke. You may think your going to flood it but trust me your not. It'll give a spurt and sound like it's gonna start....But dont let off the choke till she starts...<br /><br />Mine leaks ocassionally and somtimes it dont. Your floats arent shutting the gas off.<br />Try the starting method and tell me if it works !

Clams Canino

Commander

Originally posted by joemamma_222:<br /> You may think your going to flood it but trust me your not.
He's right... these things can't flood, and LOVE plenty of gas to cold start.<br /><br />-W

timmathis

Lieutenant

Also get a name brand bulb and fuel line the universal one at wal-mart is trash. It is sure worth the few extra bucks to get one from mercury!!! Tim

Rex_

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go for the Quicksilver line. Do I risk damaging anything if I see if I can get it started on the muffs before rebuilding the carbs?<br /><br />Also I was thinking of doing the Seafoam treatment. (Presumuing I get it started) Should I do that before or after rebuilding the carbs and fuel pump? Seems like that could kick loose a lot of crud and clog things up again.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Don't rev it up on muffs. Make sure it pee's good. If it will run go ahead and decarb. Good Luck/Day, Tim

Rex_

Cadet

Success! The floats weren't adjusted properly. The last owner had the carbs rebuilt last year. It appears that the mec just plunked new float arms in there without adjusting them. A little fine measuring and delicate bending later (per the manual), and problem solved. (That, and knowing know what this beast needs to wake up.) Took her out on the water and giddiyup!<br /><br />Thanks everyone!

timmathis

Lieutenant

Good, Good, Good, Job...I'm Glad it was that simple. Good example of how important a manual is, And how manuals can help even with help from a pro online (Like Clams). I makes every body's job a lot simpler.<br />Tim