96 Mercury 115 2+2 question

catchesbass

Cadet
Is it possible to make the 1996 Mercury 2+2 4 cylinder engine to run on all carbs all the time instead of making them all kick in at 1800 rpm? I really hate this design but I picked one up really cheap so I thought "what the heck?" It suddenly dies at full throttle. I just want to change he 2+2 system because I hate the way the bottom end seems so sluggish. I would like to make it run like a normal engine if that is possible. Thanks for the help!!

Laddies

Banned
Re: 96 Mercury 115 2+2 question

The awnser would be no, if it gets on the pipe it won't go back to idle without shutting the engine off

79Merc140

Seaman Apprentice

I heard that if you buy 2 top carbs and replace the bottom 2 with top carbs (Top carbs have idle jets) that it would run on all 4 all the time. But I have never seen it done yet.<br /><br />Craig

catchesbass

Cadet

If I can't get this thing running right, I may be the one let you know if it works. I sure hope I don't have to go that far. Laddies says that it can't be done.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

It can be done and what you end up with is a horribly rough idling motor that won't idle down when you bring the thottle back quickly. It would also have a very high idle speed and could break gearcase internals while shifting. Live with it or sell it and buy something acceptable.

Laddies

Banned

I did not say someone could not install the top carb on the bottom, thats certainly not rocket science I said that the engine would not function right or idle properly. THe orginal quistion was would the engine run like a normal engine with the carbs switched. The awnser is still NO

catchesbass

Cadet

Sorry Laddies. That is what I meant when I said that you said it couldn't be done. It is obvious that you can put a carb where you want with a little know how. I assumed everyone knew what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

catchesbass

Cadet

Also, I can live with the idle as long as the engine runs. Right now, it dies all the time. Especially right after you engage the throttle. My neighbor has the same year and make engine and his is not waht I would call smooth, but it is way better than mine. And his runs all the way through from low to full throttle without dying. My biggest concern is the sudden dying at full throttle. Nobody can seem to figure that one out.

Laddies

Banned

Usally the problem you discribe is caused by a lean idle or mid range, a engine that needs to be syncronized or to much prop

catchesbass

Cadet

Well, I just found out that the shop never even got around to looking at it. They are supposed to take it to the lake today. I'll let you know what they find-if anything. Thanks!!

catchesbass

Cadet

Well, it turned out to be the rev limiter. That is funny because I asked about that the first time I took it in and they told me that my motor didn't have one. Oh, well. It ain't dying at top end any more. Now if I can just get the low rpm performance up to par. I think 2-3 tanks of good cleangas will help alot with that.Thanks for all the help, ya'll!! Now I gotta go fishin'.