Old steering thing stuck in my Merc. Removal?

w2much

Lieutenant
Any suggestions on removing the end of the teleflex steering cable , the rod end, from the tube on the engine to which it is attached. It seems to have frozen in there.Your replies are treasured.Thank You.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Old steering thing stuck in my Merc. Removal?

Man, been there done that. I greased, WD-40'd, PB-blasted, beat, hammered, pulled, cussed and fussed one last year. Ended up cutting the tube off the darn thing. Here's wishing you more luck.<br /><br />Dave.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

W2, If you can get a pipe wrench onto the steering rod, and rock it front to back, penetrating oil will eventually free it up. If you hammer the end, you will mushroom it and make it difficult to remove. After it is loose, use a drift + hammer to push it out.

studlymandingo

Commander

Try the penetrating oil as chris said. I've successfully freed a couple up with PB Blaster, elbow grease, and determination.

w2much

Lieutenant

OK, have tried the above mentioned with limited success. Thealuminum nut has been removed and with it came most of the mechanism. Now it seems to have sheered off at the end where the steering rod connects to. Will that end peice come of the end from which it is sticking out of or does it have to be driven out the same side that the steering cable was attached from////

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The steering rod should be able to come out either side. After you get it out, clean out the tube with a wire brush and some solvent and grease it up.

rocks

Seaman

I had to use a socket extension and hammer to get mine out.