charging

larry55chevy

Recruit
I have a 1995 merc 90elpto (90hp mercury 3cyl) serial #og272590 that won't charge. it runs off a battery fine, but it runs the battery down. My question is what is wrong with it? Is it the stator, the regulator, or the rectifier or any or all of the above? It's to expensive to play "guess what" with the thing so any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys!<br /><br />Larry

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: charging

first off, are you sure its not charging?<br /><br />do you have a digital multi meter? or equivelant?<br /><br />test your battery voltage wih the motor running and then test your battery voltage with the motor off. you should get about 12.6 off and , well, anything higher means its charging. usually i get about 12.9 or 13.1 at a lil above idle<br /><br />the first part that usually goes bad is the rectifier, if you have one. you may hvae the voaltage regulator setup. im not sure if the 1995 90hp has the rectifier or the regulator.<br /><br />if its not charging and you have the regulator, id get a manual and test the output of the regulator.<br /><br />either way, get a manual!

phatmanmike

Captain

first off, are you sure its not charging?<br /><br />do you have a digital multi meter? or equivelant?<br /><br />test your battery voltage wih the motor running and then test your battery voltage with the motor off. you should get about 12.6 off and , well, anything higher means its charging. usually i get about 12.9 or 13.1 at a lil above idle<br /><br />the first part that usually goes bad is the rectifier, if you have one. you may hvae the voaltage regulator setup. im not sure if the 1995 90hp has the rectifier or the regulator.<br /><br />if its not charging and you have the regulator, id get a manual and test the output of the regulator.<br /><br />either way, get a manual!

larry55chevy

Recruit

Originally posted by myoutboards:<br /> first off, are you sure its not charging?<br /><br />do you have a digital multi meter? or equivelant?<br /><br />test your battery voltage wih the motor running and then test your battery voltage with the motor off. you should get about 12.6 off and , well, anything higher means its charging. usually i get about 12.9 or 13.1 at a lil above idle<br /><br />the first part that usually goes bad is the rectifier, if you have one. you may hvae the voaltage regulator setup. im not sure if the 1995 90hp has the rectifier or the regulator.<br /><br />if its not charging and you have the regulator, id get a manual and test the output of the regulator.<br /><br />either way, get a manual!

larry55chevy

Recruit

thanks myoutboards, your right, a manual is on the way in the form of a cd. I went to look at parts and they said it had a rectifier and a regulator. then they said I could have a stator with an alternator in it for charging. now I'm totally confused but I do know that it's to expensive to just buy parts until you get-r-done! any suggestions on where to buy parts? thanks again for the help phatmanmike!<br /><br />Larry

phatmanmike

Captain

mercruiserparts.com is a great place to get merc parts, they have part #s and pic of all motors ever made by merc. well most motors.<br /><br />iboats.com has some general parts...<br />ishopmarine.com has the same as mercruiser parts, but their website is slower and they cost more......<br /><br />and lets not forget ebay.com

Laddies

Banned

Hi Larry....are you from Ishpeming by chance...I know of someone into old sleds who goes by a similar screen name?

larry55chevy

Recruit

howdy, I'm from the flint area so it's not me that you know. I do have a hunt camp near Ishpeming though.<br /><br />Larry

95 smokercraft

Recruit

i think i have same motor and same problem,,, did you ever get it fixed,,,and was it hard to fix and how much did it cost?