65hp merc removel, help?

fshnne1

Seaman Apprentice
I am currently in the process of restoring my old boat, need to remove my merc 65hp outboard the steering cable runs through a big nut and then through I think a grease chamber the other end is a fitting that goes to the engine all this is connected to the engine, how do i remove, new to this end of things????? Help?????

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 65hp merc removel, help?

ok we are going to be working from the back of the engine. 1st turn steering wheel all the wat to the right. on the left side remove the connection between the rod and engine. then on the right remove the big nut on the cable attaching it to the"grease tube". the cable should then slide out. you may have to lift the engine to get it completely out, due to space. good luck.

fshnne1

Seaman Apprentice

what do you think the aprox weight of this size engine is? could a two person crew pull it off? thanks for the great response tashasdaddy

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just replaced the steering cable on my 115 merc and I had some tension from an above manual cable winch hooked on the back of the motor. I unbolted all of the bolts on the transome and placed a crow bar under the motor on the right side. a gentle lift of about 3 inches to that one side what all I needed to slide the old cable out and the new one in. And I had quite the small space to work with and did it all by myself in about an hour. I guess where there is a will, there is a way.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

are you wanting to remove the engine during restoration or just the change the cable. i borrow a engine hoist (cherry picker) from a neighbor, and use a rope sling thru the handle thingys. the safest way is to buy the lifting ring that bolts to the flywheel. merc recommended way.

imported_miked

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello fshnne1, I have a 65hp merc, a 1966 4cyl. Two of us were able to lift it off the transom of one boat, put it on a mobile engine stand, and lift it onto another boat. It's been a few years, but I don't remember it being too heavy. Just awkward. You don't want to carry it any distance at all, be sure to have the engine stand located properly before you start. Since I was putting it on another boat right away, I improvised an engine stand using a two wheel hand truck. For more long term storage, I've seen some great plans for homemade engine stands here in the forum over the years. I have a 50hp hanging on one of them right now! Hope this helps!