No elec to motor at all

Amazongem

Recruit
150 hp Mariner she started up great and was running at top speed with no indications of trouble until I stopped her and tried to restart. I got nothing! The battery was charged up and the power tilt is still working fine but no clicking or anything coming from the switch. Could I just have a bad switch, maybe a bad connection somewhere, bad stop circuit or solenoid? It just happened to quick with no warning and I have never had a starting problem with this boat. Can you give me your best guess?Thanks,in advance! :rolleyes:

David R

Seaman
Re: No elec to motor at all

I'm going through some similar issues with an 87 Mercury, so this is pretty fresh for me.<br /><br />On my mercury the main fuse for the electrical systems of the engine is mounted in a water resistant in-line fuse holder. Check the quality of the connection. On mine when it was acting-up I was only getting ~6.5 volts at the controls. Not enough to operate anything on my engine.<br /><br />Other possiblility is the nuetral position switch in the controls box. This will stop any cranking of the engine.<br /><br />I don't know about all models, but on mine the kill switched allowed cranking, but no spark.<br /><br />David R

GA Paramedic

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you aren't even hearing your starter working, check your fire to the starter with a volt meter and track it down from there. Fuses can be a bear too so don't forget them. But it sounds like, it could be any of the above.

Torres535

Cadet

I had the same problem. Mine it would turn over but wouldnt start. It turned out to be the stator.