What needs to be adjusted on my throttle??

Conn

Cadet
This started happening this weekend....<br /><br />Hit the gas and run for a while, when you go to slow back down and pull back on the lever, it wants to feel like it "sticks" for a while, reducing the RPMS by very little, until you almost get to the 20° of "play" from the center position, then it dives the throttle back down. throttling up is fine, it only occurs on the down. reverse works fine too. <br /><br />are these adjustments on the motor, or have somethign to do with the adjustments at the box?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: What needs to be adjusted on my throttle??

Merc used to have what they called "Back Drag". Purpose was to increase mpg. May have used the term "Back Drag Carburetors". May have had them on my '89 tower.<br /><br />Don't remember the timeframe nor engines. What happens is that you advance timing and carb butterfly openings as you go higher in rpm's but on the way down, the spark would remain advanced till you got down to a lower rpm then it would come on down more or less proportional to the amount of carb butterfly opening/throttle position.<br /><br />Sounds like you have such a critter and it's hanging up on you.<br /><br />Easy to see. Just de cowl and watch the spark arm movement as you increase the throttle. Look right under the flywheel at the vertical shaft<br />(engine doesn't have to be running).<br /><br />Start from idle and advance the throttle while paying attention to where the throttle is and where the arm is.<br /><br />Then reverse the process. If you can reduce the throttle (like 1/4 or so) and the arm doesn't move you have it.<br /><br />Look at your linkage to the spark advance and carbs. Maybe it needs a shot of lube.<br /><br />Otherwise I don't know.<br /><br />HTH.<br /><br />Mark

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

not knowing what engine leaves us handicapped to help you. year serial # you could have a throttle cable going bad.

Conn

Cadet

crap. i forgot....XR2 Black Max 150 Serial # OB221010 don't know the year. probably 87-90?