mercury 2000 150 xl sw tilt problem

Davetbird

Recruit
The tilt motor on my mercury is not operating. It was fine a week ago and now its has stopped. I changed the batteries and that did nothing. You can hear the relays click from the motor switch and the helm switch. There is a set of three fuses on the starboard side of the engine, they are all fine. Is their some where else to check for a short?

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: mercury 2000 150 xl sw tilt problem

I have a 1999 and If yours is the same there are 2 relays in the back of the engine mounted on a brass plate. They were the problem with mine when it went out. I think they were about $15 each so I replaced them both. You can Identify them by going to the Mercury website and go to the parts section, put in your seriel number and get a schematic of that area and even get a part number. You'll recognize them by the weird rubber antivibration mount they used to attach them to the brass plate.

Davetbird

Recruit

I can hear the relays opening and closing. Do you think they could still be bad? Is there a way to check them?

sleepinin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a lengthy flow chart in the service manuel on how to check them. I don't think I can articulate it properly. Mine still made a noise when they went bad. My worst fear was that the motor went out so I cut the 2 wires that directly fed the trim motor and then jump wired them to pos and neg and the motor worked. You can reverse the wires and it'll run the motor in the opposite direction. Then I was sure it was the relays. Another time I changed the poppett valve and pinched a wire from the engine trim control when I reassembled the poppett cover. This shorted it out immediatly and it was obvious what I did. I'd bet it's your relays or your trim motor. But the way you said it quit all of a sudden without notice it's likely your relays.