1987 115 6cyl Stutters @ 2500 RPM Upperband Stator?

tiffanynjon

Recruit
I have a 1987 115hp 6 cyl Mercury.<br />I just bought Boat and Motor, Little cold blooded at first, but Idle's fine @ 750 RPM without load and 1K RPM with load. Took it up to 5500 with no load - N.P. Runs great.<br />As soon as I put a load on motor, it started to stutter and hesitate @ 2400-2600 RPM. Like it was starving for gas and would not go over 2600 RPM. I put in New plugs, Premium mixed @ 50:1, checked filter. The problem only exists when under load.<br /> <br />Someone mentiond an upperband Stator? Had to look up what that was :) <br />How do I test for balanced voltage on Stator's, Could that be problem? If so. What should the voltage read? Could it be another problem? :confused: <br /><br />Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. <br />Thanks,

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1987 115 6cyl Stutters @ 2500 RPM Upperband Stator?

That sounds more like a plugged high speed in one of the carbs. to test voltage you will need a DVA adapter.<br />HS or red/red white = 25+ volts<br />LS or blue/blue white = 150_ volts

Clams Canino

Commander

Agreed...... could be the high speed stator winding. but clean the carbs 1st.<br /><br />-W

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, do not run the engine over 1500 RPMs without a load as no exhaust back pressure can invite disaster with the engine "running away" or causing internal damage.<br /><br />Stick with it. As Clams describes it, you have "the pick of the litter" as far as the inline 6 goes. Good luck.

tiffanynjon

Recruit

Originally posted by Laddies:<br /> That sounds more like a plugged high speed in one of the carbs. to test voltage you will need a DVA adapter.<br />HS or red/red white = 25+ volts<br />LS or blue/blue white = 150_ volts
I am pulling it out of the water today, as far as carbs, do I need to pull them off? and or can I just use a carb cleaner used on standard gas motors, something I would find at auto parts store? Any special tools? <br /><br />What is a DVA adapter? Can I pick one up at a local marine shop?<br /><br />Thank you for the wire colors, inregard to respected voltage, is that a cranking voltage or at idle?

tiffanynjon

Recruit

Originally posted by 2cycle:<br /> Also, do not run the engine over 1500 RPMs without a load as no exhaust back pressure can invite disaster with the engine "running away" or causing internal damage.<br /><br />Stick with it. As Clams describes it, you have "the pick of the litter" as far as the inline 6 goes. Good luck.
FYI: This is my first outboard and the only other boat I have had motor experience with was a flat bottom 18' jet boat w/ a LT1 350 corvette motor.<br /> <br />It say's in the operation manual "allow it to run for 1 or 2 min to warm up and not to exceed 2500 RPM's? I have not ran it that high, but I have ran it at 1500-2000 RPM's for the warm up time (while in the water) on land with proper hose connection I would not run motor that high and hope that is what your describing above.<br /> <br />Thank you for you advise and it's good to know this is a good motor.

tiffanynjon

Recruit

A big THANK YOU for all of your advise and freely sharing your wisdom about this motor. I did not expect such a fast answers to my questions. As I am new to outboards (but can follow directions - Also a do it yourself kind of guy) I will keep you posted on what I find out today.<br /><br /> Any of you have a trouble shooting question about Home or Business, Sound, Fire, Alarm, CCTV, Computer, systems or networks, just ask me. Thanks again.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

The first two respondents are the best 'helpers' around. Be sure to keep posting back as you learn new info, and they'll have you running in no time.<br /><br />That's a great motor you have, and if well cared for you will be very happy with it.<br /><br />The carbs need to come off to clean them. Don't run carb cleaner through a 2-stroke or you'll be in for headaches. 2-strokes need the oil in the gas for lubrication.<br /><br />A DVA meter measure peak voltage, unlike your typical multimeter. The can be found at electronic stores, or you local auto parts store. They are a bit expensive, and not a lot of home mechanics have them. If you have a good quality multimeter (fluke), you may be able to buy an adaptor for it.<br /><br />iboats sells some peak volt meters & adaptors:<br /><br />Volt Meters<br /><br />The most popular is the Stevens Instrument Peak Volt /DVA Meter, but it seems to be 'discontinued' by iboats:<br />
47433_0.jpg