2006 Mercury 115HP EFI 4-Stroke - How strong should it pee?

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,<br /><br />I have a 2006 Mercury 115HP EFI 4-stroke, and it doesn't have much pressure out of the 'pee' hole.<br /><br />I know on my old '79 Mercury 40HP 2-stroke, it has alot of pressure coming out of the 'pee' hole.<br /><br />I was at the dock today and noticed another Mercury outboard on another boat that was peeing pretty strong, but it was a 2-stroke.<br /><br />I don't know if its just the 4-strokes don't have alot of pressure in the cooling sytem, or if I should be conserned about mine?<br /><br />The stream is solid, no breaks, it's just not a real strong stream.<br /><br />Also just incase any Merc 4-stroke experts read this... On occasion the engine will die, when going from forward to reverse at the dock, ir has also happened when backing out of the throttle real quick from higher speeds... I was curious if this is normal as some kind of protection to the lower unit, or if this should also concern me?<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

jrpatty

Cadet
Re: 2006 Mercury 115HP EFI 4-Stroke - How strong should it pee?

I have a 98-99 4 stroke merc, and it has a very strong stream coming from the telltale. I am sure the motor is under full warranty, so i would let them check it out. <br />4 stokes are set to idle pretty low, but it sounds like yours is set a little to low. Again let the dealer fix it. I am sure that is why you spent the $$$ and got a new motor.

Dunaruna

Admiral

How many hrs?<br /><br />I've got a 2005 50EFI 4 stroke. Very strong telltale. <br /><br />It should not stall under those conditions - take it back to the dealer for both problems.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

The stream coming out is about as strong as a super soaker water gun. I havent heard the over heat buzzer so I assume its cooling the engine..<br /><br />I have a 5 year warrenty on the motor.<br /><br />The only think that effects the water pressure is the impeller right? There's not much to the water pumps..<br /><br />I wasn't sure if it was the impeller, if that is covered under the warrenty or if that's considered a Maintaince part..<br /><br />The motor probably has 10-15 hours on it. Guessing. I have had it since march 14th 2006, Its brand new.<br /><br />If I tell the dealer the engine dies at random for various reasons, what can they really do to find out what causes it?<br /><br />-TheChad

Dunaruna

Admiral

Unless you have sucked up sand/mud or a colony of wasps have taken up residence in the passages - it's a warranty job.<br /><br />Re: stalling - They will read the codes and extract a history. The only thing that will not be covered under warranty is bad/contaminated fuel.<br /><br />My suggesting is that you perform a basic reverse flush on the water pump (the procedure is described in the manual, it's easy) and change out your fuel and filter/water seperator. <br /><br />If she still won't play ball - of to the dealer you go.<br /><br />edit: 15 hrs is barely 'run in'. Did you follow the procedure? That's a question the dealer will ask you. It's due for a running in service at 20hrs.

TheChad

Petty Officer 1st Class

The dealer I purchased it from told me to take it to a dealer for an oil change at 10 hours.<br /><br />When I called a local dealer to schedule an oil change, I was told Mercury didn't need a 10 or 20 hour oil change, and just to bring it in at the end of the season.<br /><br />I called Mercury to ask them, and was told the same.<br /><br />Mercury said you Could get the oil changed, but its not required by us and doesn't affect warrenty in any way if you don't.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />-TheChad

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your 79 engine was of the short vane impeller type(low volume /High pressure)<br /><br />Your new engine is of the long vane impeller type (high volume/ low pressure)