1978-70hp control switch wiring diagram needed

barry soxman

Cadet
I am installing a used 1978 70hp motor and controls on my boat and had to change cables as the ones that came with it are too short. I found the wires cut to the chock button and a few extra wires. The switch has been changed and the wires don't match up color wise. The motor does start and run but I am not sure where the extra wires go. 1 is white coming from the engine the gives me ~8 volts when motor is running. Another white wire comes out of the controls and reads 12 volts in on position then increases as engine speed increases ti 16.5 volts. I am not sure of the other wires color coming from the controls but it shows 2-3 volts. Any help would be of great help in particular a wiring diagram. I also checked the voltage from the wire at the choke solenoid and when disconected it reads ~34 volts when engine is running?<br />Thanks,<br />Barry

ricksrster

Commander
Re: 1978-70hp control switch wiring diagram needed

OK her is a list.<br />Red is positive from battery. <br />Black is ground.<br />Orange is engine kill. It should connect to ground with key off.<br />White is 12v key on and should have Two white wires. One from harness and one from choke button. Your brown wire is Tach signal.<br />Gray connects to choke switch.

barry soxman

Cadet

Thanks,<br />That will be very helpful and now I can make some sense of it.<br /><br /> I would still like a wiring diagram if someone could supply one. I also was a little confused on the voltages I was getting. I looked over the engine and found 2 wires doubled up on the coil? When I checked the position the wire was taken from I found no voltage.

ricksrster

Commander

you should have three coils. Cylinder coil #1 green. Cylinder #2 green/red. Cylinder # 3 green/white. a black ground wire goes from the switch box to the coil mounting cover. If those key switch corors are wrong let me know. They are the old style controler. Do you have an eight pin Harness? the newer colors are: black/yellow - engine off<br />grey - tach signal<br />red - pos<br />yellow/red - stater solenoid<br />black- ground<br />yellow/black - choke.

barry soxman

Cadet

My harness only uses 7 pins with wire colors;<br />black<br />red<br />orange<br />yellow<br />white<br />grey<br />brown<br /><br />I did some continuity checks at the pins;<br />OFF- black and orange connected<br />RUN- red and white<br />START-red, white and yellow<br />Is this correct?<br />The grey wire is connected to the start switch which I think is wrong but doesn't connect to anything.

ricksrster

Commander

Do you push the key switch for choke oris there a seperate choke switch? The grey wire at the motor end goes to the choke solenoid.

barry soxman

Cadet

There is a seperate choke switch that had the wires cut from it. I removed the wire from the start switch. connected my white wires to one sise of the choke switch and the grey wire to the other side of the choke switch and evey thing appears to work OK except for the choke solenoid that seams to be frozen. My voltages are good at 13.5 at the battary when the engine is running.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.<br />Barry

billynjuls

Seaman Apprentice

Barry,<br /><br />Send me your e-mail. I have a wiring diagram that you can use. Your wires are just like my 1978 80 HP. <br /><br />Billy

barry soxman

Cadet

That would be great,<br />Thanks Billy<br /><br />bsox56@verizon.net