starting trouble

goldbrick1950

Recruit
I have a 40hp outboard mercury, I,ve changed solinoid, and starter, all it does is click, can someone tell where to go from here? (be nice)

studlymandingo

Commander
Re: starting trouble

Welcome to iboats!<br /><br />This may sound basic, but how is your battery?<br /><br />An older battery can read 12v but not really have the amperage capacity to crank the motor over. Next thing to do is get a set of jumper cables and bypass the solenoid, if it cranks you have a problem in the wiring going to the starter, my guess with the clicking though is a weak battery, maybe a bad ground.

tande1950

Recruit

thanks for the reply, I'll give all that you suggest a try.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Use a single jumper cable to jump from the POSITIVE battery terminal to the large post on the starter solenoid that feeds the starter. If it now spins, the POSITIVE battery cable is the problem (connections). If it still doesn't spin, connect the second jumper cable to the NEGATIVE battery cable and the other end to a good ground on the engine block. If the starter now spins, the NEGATIVE cable or its connections are bad. If the starter still doesn't spin, it needs rebuild or replacement as you've taken all other wiring out of the circuit in the jump process.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the Engine FAQs. "Outboard wont start" will fix you up.