Shift cable adjustment

islander12

Cadet
I have a 1994 Mercury 135 outboard. Recently repowered, replaced lower unit.<br /><br />I have noticed over the past season that the throttle is extending further foward to engage the gear and increase the RPM,s. This season, the reverse gear only engages when the throttle is pulled past 40 degrees. I suspect that the cable is incorrectly adjusted.<br /><br />My question is: How do II go about re-setting the cables so that I am able to engage gears (both foward & reverse) as close to 90 degrees as is possible?<br /><br />I have been advised to turn screws on the cables at the motor, however being a novice am not confident in meddling, lest I do terminal damage.<br /><br />Can you give me the 101 on this procedure, or direct me to a source where I can find the info?<br /><br />Thanks.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: Shift cable adjustment

On that late an engine, I don't think the adjustment is at the engine; used to be, way back there, but now I think the only one you have is in the control box.<br /><br />There is a threaded brass cylinder on the cable that you can rotate to change the relationship of the remote lever compared to the engine. <br /><br />The control has to be opened up (carefully so things don't come flying out at you). Not that they will, but you have several parts in there that could dislodge....once the cover is split.<br /><br />Just remove the cable "nut" from it's mounting enough to adjust it. A helper (person) would help. Will be a trial and error thing.<br /><br />Don't know what control you have, but I think I'd disconnect it from the engine first and mark where the engine wants F and N and R. Then when you check your tweaks on the cable nut, you know where you are headed.<br /><br />HTH<br /><br />Mark

islander12

Cadet

Thanks for getting back to me.<br />If you have any additional insights, I'd really appreciate them. I am a serious novice at this stuff. While I do enjoy challenges preferring to do it myself and learn, would suspect that this manouvre might require some educated support. Or is it simply sounding confusing because I am ugnorant and when I open the control box will it appare simpler than it does in the description?<br /><br />You speak fo the relevent F,N & R positions, will these shift when I tweak the nut at the control box?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

warren, if these are original cables from 94, they have probably stretched. talk around and see if you can find someone who has done this to help you. you may not be able to adjust it out. thsu new cables.

islander12

Cadet

Thanks Tashasdaddy, that is precisely what I fear. I would imagine that an adjustment is way simpler than replacing the entire cable. I have a friend, whom I am hoping will spend some time with me looking things over. He is a Merc wizard and unfortunately for me is most often tied up, so I don't want to lean too heavily on him.<br /><br />I will be attempting a "fix-it" myself, however gathering as much knowledge as I can first.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Warren, This is long, but don't know how else to tell you the story.<br /><br />After talking with you yesterday, I became curious as to why Merc no longer adjusted the cables at the engine. Mine is an '02 and I remember linkages back to the '50's that were adjustable there, at the engine.<br /><br />(I just recently bought this engine and based my comment on a quick look at the engine connections several weeks ago. My last engine was an '89 and I just thought things changed.)<br /><br />WELL, I LIED!<br /><br />I took a closer look yesterday and as a matter of fact, dismantled both cables at the engine and worked through the throttle and shift process to insure that I understood it.<br /><br />The adjustment is as it has always been with a threaded shaft and a threaded cylinder; the position of the cylinder, up and down the shaft) determines the alignment. Additionally I got my service manual out and spent an hour with the thing.<br /><br />On my engine, everything is controlled by it (the engine). All the remote control/cables do is move things in the engine....by that I mean the control and cables can move much farther than the engine allows.<br /><br />The only thing the remote control, controls, is the N detent (lock) for safety. Once you squeeze the handle and move the lever out of N, the engine is in charge.<br /><br />So, the correct alignment is to put the remote in N and wiggle it back and forth to get it centered.<br /><br />Go to the engine and DISCONNECT THE CABLES. (The throttle cable is physically mounted over the shifter so you have to get it out of the way.)<br /><br />Get a measuring device of some sort (ruler, scale, tape).<br /><br />Manually set the shift slide to the N position and center it (slide back and forth slightly to find the center of the "slop"). Measure the distance from the threaded stud on this slide (that you took the cable end off) to the center-line of hole that the cable's movable cylinder (also on the cable) slides into (came out of). <br /><br />Mine measured 6 7/8 inches. <br /><br /><br />Then grasp the shift slide and very slowly move it forward while rotating the prop with the other hand. This thing is spring loaded so you have to hold it to get the measurement.<br /><br /><br />As soon as you feel/hear anything from the lower unit stop moving and again measure from the stud to the cylinder attachment point. <br /><br />Mine measured 6 1/4 inches.<br /><br />Repeat for reverse. Put the stud back at the original position (6 7/8 for me) and go the other direction, while rotating the prop and feeling for contact. Measure the distance.<br /><br />Mine was 7 5/8 inches.<br /><br />I then took the two numbers, and found the average which was 6 15/16 for the N centered position.<br /><br />I rotated the cylinder on the shaft and after the correct dimension was obtained, I re-installed the shift cable back on the engine (remote control is still in the N lock position).<br /><br />Then I went to the remote and put it in F and then in R (be careful going into R and slowly spin the prop till it falls in...Reverse doesn't have the slip clutch F has and you can damage your shifter if you try to force it. You have to line up the gears to get them to mesh....manually).<br /><br />I measured both positions back at the engine where I had made the previous measurements.<br /><br />In both cases my measurements were 3/4 inch farther than the minimum contact point indicating that the shifter was centered, and the engine had plenty of travel to fully engage both F and R gears.<br /><br />Phew.<br /><br />HTH. Again, my apologies for the bogus info.<br /><br />Mark

islander12

Cadet

Gee Mark,<br />That is some great info, thank you very much indeed. As I suspected it is not a simple case of turning a few screws! I am relieved to know that for now I do not need to dismantle the remote control box.<br /><br />I suspect that I will need a manual to do this correctly, but none the less I will take the cowling off this evening and see if at the least I can come to terms with the various parts that you have mentioned. Look out for my post tomorrow.<br /><br />warren.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thanks texasmark, i'm not real familiar with the newer engines.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Hopefully, I kept you'all from needing the manual. Hopefully, I included enough information so that the job could get done with the info provided; or in the case of a Yammie, or OMC, the general idea is there to get the job done.<br /><br />Manuals are surely helpful, but everyone doesn't have access to one.<br /><br />And thanks for your recognition of the fact that I went out of my way to try to help you.<br /><br />Mark

islander12

Cadet

Well I got the cowling off and looked at the throttle and shift connections to the motor. I checked the range in forward and reverse, and was quite amazed to see how far the remote lever is pulled before the gears are engaged and the consequent throttle line angages. I am sure that this is where my problems lie. I strated to remove the throttle cable and was surprised to find a nut and spring shoot out....So I carefully put that back and now will wait until I have an expert (the one eye to lead the blind) leaning over my shoulder to help me get this worked out.<br /><br />I simply could not make head or tail of which components needed adjusting to limit the slack in the throttle and the shift engagement mechanisms.<br /><br />Does anyone know where I can find a diagram/schematic of this system? My fear is once dissasembled that I will have a bag full of parts that need to be put back...<br />Thanks again fopr your assistance and sorry for being so "stupid".

sport15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Warren,<br />You are not being stupid, just cautious and that is good where it is easy to make expensive mistakes..<br /><br />A Seloc manual (not as good as OEM but better than nothing) from a place like marineengine.com will go a long way for you. It has pictures of what you might see (OEM book has what you WILL see) doing a job like this..<br /><br />Are you taking apart the engine end? On the engine end of the cable there should be a small retaining nut (8mm on my ‘87 70 hp) holding the plastic sliding cable end and a brass or black plastic threaded barrel that holds the cable in place in a retainer on the port side of engine.. See anything like that? If so, that is you disconnect the cables and make the measurements to which Texasmark (GREAT POST!) is referring. There should not be anything that launches itself accross the shop involved here, yet.... <br /><br />Good luck..<br /> Dave

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is a very simple way to adjust throttle and shift cables and no measurements are required. Simply disconnect the cable at the engine (start with the shift cable). Just disconnect the end, not the captive threaded barrel. With the shifter in neutral and shift lever on the engine in neutral, bring the end of the cable back up to the lever. If it's attachment points do not line up exactly, turn the threaded trunion (or barrel as some call it) so the cable end and shifter are exactly aligned. Attach the cable and your done. If you have to pull the cable or move the shifter you are not doing it right. Then do the same for the throttle. With the lever in neutral and throttle linkage held against its stop (fully closed) adjust the trunion for perfect alignment. Your done. Now the bad news. If the cable is stretched, no amount of adjusting will fix that. The shifter and throttle can only move the cables so far. If they are stretched, they must be replaced. Fortunately there is a simple test for this as well. With the throttle wide open, the throttle butterflies in the carb should be perfectly horizontal. If they are not fully open the cable is stretched or link & sync needs to be done. If they open too far, link & sync definitely needs to be done and the cable is not stretched or is misadjusted.

islander12

Cadet

Well I said I'd report back.<br />What initially looked like a nightmare has turned out to be a relatively simple task. Thanks all for your assistance.<br />Got the shift adjusted and now engage gear smoothly, both in reverse & fwd.<br /><br />For those others that encounter similar challenges let me explain what I did.<br />1) Placed the remote control lever in N.<br />2) Removed cowling, checked that Shift cable was in the N position and that prop was free to rotate.<br />3) Removed clip that holds both the Shift and throttle cables in place. This is located close to the brass trunions that are housed in a rubber casing.<br />4) Unscrewed the butterfly nut at the far end of the cable. seems that this acts as a clamp on the end of the cable, holding it in place over the pin on the slide.<br />5) Used a flat screw driver to pry the cable end out of it's groove and at the same time pulled it free from the motor. This required dislodging the trunion from it's rubber housing.<br />This also required lifting both cables out of the rubber seal at the front end of the lower cowling on the motor, they need to be freed up to allow manouvrability.<br />6) Turned the trunion around the thread on the shift cable, counting each revolution in case I needed to go back the other way.<br />7) Re-set the cable carefully back as I had removed it.<br />8) Turned on the motor and engaged gears.<br /><br />Beautiful, smooth as silk!<br /><br />Closed up and left it at that. Still need to go back and adjust the throttle cable so that the motor gains RPM's with the lever closer to 90 degrees than it is currently. However did run the boat & she went well.

saumon

Lieutenant

Good posts like this one should have a place in the FAQ; same thing for the famous "link & sync" or at least been "sticked" at the top of the page!<br /><br />just my opinion...