Squeze Ball - Idle increases 77' 1150

pfoley

Seaman
I've been having trouble with my idle. Recently I discovered that if I squeezed the fuel ball the idle would increase. Naturally, I thought the fuel pump was bad so I rebuilt it last night. I was really proud of myself, but the problem remains. What else could it be? Carb floats? Which one?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Squeze Ball - Idle increases 77' 1150

If you replaced the ck vavles in the f/pump when the problem is the idle mix is lean which could be adjustment or low float levels

pfoley

Seaman

I did replace check valves. Could the fuel pump's connection to the crank case be clogged? So, what's the solution? With the ear muffs it runs good, just a lot better with a squeeze of the ball every minute or so. Am I able to inspect/clean the floats without removing the carbs?

pfoley

Seaman

I should also mention that I'm using a new fuel line/bulb and a new portable tank.<br /><br />Thanks!

Motor Boater Bill

Chief Petty Officer

If it is a third-party bulb it may be faulty--did it do this before you added the new bulb, line and tank?

pfoley

Seaman

The boat is new to me. When I bought it, I bought a new tank and bulb (aftermarket). I'll buy another one and give it a try that. That would be a miracle!

Laddies

Banned

Not knowing for sure which pump set up you have for sure it's hard to say but if you have a secondary pulse line on the bottom of the pump (this would be a cowl mounted 6 screw oval shaped pump body) someone may have replaced the pulse lines and not the springs inside them that keep the hoses from colapsing it's a common problem with untrained service people

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have seen, on here, where people recommend the OEM equipment after buying aftermarket and having it not work wherein the OEM would solve their problem.<br /><br />Mark

pfoley

Seaman

Thank you all. Laddies, it appears that I have the pump you're referring to. It looks like there are two lines going into the engine (crank case?). Are you sugesting that one of these may be collapsing under pressure? What to do?<br /><br />Texasmark, I'm getting another primer bulb, dang it!<br /><br />Thanks

Clams Canino

Commander

Wrong tree. (except for Laddies idea - to check AFTER the carb settings)<br /> <br />If the problem is at idle, check to see if idle mix screws work on all 3 carbs and set them as per the manual. Sounds like at least one of them is set too lean or has a clogged idle circuit.<br /><br />Strange fuel delivery stuff like squeeze ball valves and hose diamater show up more at speed. At idle you could use a catheter for a fuel line and still get enough gas to the carbs. :D <br /><br />-W

Laddies

Banned

Yup, they both should have a spring in them I just goto the hardware in buy a long compression spring the right dai. cut it to lenght and slide it in the hoses

pfoley

Seaman

I'm not really competent enough to start messing with the carbs. I'm afraid I'll make it worse. <br /><br />Clams, would a squeeze of the ball increase the idle if either of those conditions were true? How can I tell if an idle mix screw is working?<br /><br />Thanks.

Clams Canino

Commander

If you start the screws at 1.5 turns out and turn them in while it's idling - it outta stall well before the screw hits bottom - like at about 1/2 turn out at least.<br /><br />Squeezing the ball can force gas past the floats, flodding the carb a little, thereby momentarily compensating for a clogged idle circuit in a carb.<br /><br />-W

pfoley

Seaman

Okay, it's starting to make sense to me. I have three carbs though. Will it stall while working on just one?<br /><br />Thanks Clams.

Clams Canino

Commander

yes...if it's idling down at normal, closing off one carb will kill it.<br /><br />-W

pfoley

Seaman

Thanks Clams. Would it be prudent to unscrew the idle adjuster completely and blow some carb cleaner in there?