Impeller Change - Can I do it myself?!?

mattfish11

Seaman Apprentice
I have a small 9.9 Mariner outboard - 1989... It hasn't been run in 6 years... I am going to change the impeller with a mercury impeller kit with all the gaskets and stuff...<br /><br />Is this a tough job? Or is it pretty basic? Any tips? suggestions?!?<br /><br />Thanks!

timmathis

Lieutenant
Re: Impeller Change - Can I do it myself?!?

If you have a manual, and are pretty good with tools you should have no trouble. Plus you have iboats on your side. If you can chew gum and ride a bike. You could rebuild your powerhead with the help you can get from some of these guys at iboats. Good Luck, Tim

studlymandingo

Commander

Just follow the directions in the manual. It is a very easy procedure once you have done it. I do it annually at the very least.

mattfish11

Seaman Apprentice

I actually don't have the manual... I got this motor from a friend and it hasn't been run in years... I heard that changing the impeller should be one of the first things to do when you revive an older motor...<br /><br />Does anybody have an online resource that would show me how my impeller all fits together???

ricksrster

Commander

Go to bammarine.com and look under mercruiser parts and then mercury parts. Search with pictures, find your model and click what you want to see.