1978 merc 115hp stumbles

doddle06

Cadet
need some help plz! my 78 merc outboard 115hp is hard starting when cold, but after it warms up its great! and when you accelerate at about 1/3 throttle it stumbles? any help!!

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1978 merc 115hp stumbles

Assuming the carburetors are clean, are the idle speed mixture screws on each carburetor adjusted? You can start with each one turned out 2 CCW turns from a lightly seated position, and then adjust CCW by increments of 1/8 of a turn until it stops stumbling. If they are set too lean (or with the screws too far in), this will make the engine stumble. Outside of that, make sure the fuel pump has been replaced recently and see if the primer bulb loses pressure after warming up. You could have an air leak somewhere in the system.

timmathis

Lieutenant

Try a dose of seafoam to help clean out the fuel system, It may even help your starting and stumble problem. Be sure and do as 2cycle said and adjust air screws. With the old inline starting try this. Make sure the motor is all the way down. Then after you pump the fuel bulb up stiff . Give it 2 or 3 hard long pumps to load it up with fuel. You can't hardly flood a old inline. That may help your hard starting problem. <br />Good Luck, Tim

doddle06

Cadet

MANY THANKS TO YOU GUYS! THEY BOTH SOUND LIKE GOOD STARTING POINTS, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SEA FOAM THOUGH? I GUESS YOU CAN GET IT AT THE MARINE SHOP HUH? AGAIN THANKS!

timmathis

Lieutenant

Seafoam is used to decarb with or as a fuel system cleaner / stabilizer. Some marine shops have it. NAPA has it so does advance auto and autozone auto parts.<br />Good Luck ,Tim