Looking at Purchasing 87' 60HP Mercury

jadnmd

Recruit
I'm going to look at a 1987 Mercury 60Hp Outboard engine with controls for $1000. The owner said over the phone that the compresion was 190 psi on the cylinders. Were these good engines or would I be better looking at something else for my 20ft pontoon boat. Any advice on what to look for on this engine? Also, are parts hard to find for this year engine?<br />I currently have a 1994 Force 50HP that I'm ready to sink. <br />Any input is appreciated. Thanks

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking at Purchasing 87' 60HP Mercury

Those compression values can't be correct, unless it has been modified considerably. Typically they fall somewhere between 110 and 150psi max. I've never heard of one that high. Recheck it, and make sure all 3 cylinders are within 10% of each other, and all over 110 psi. Any less, and it is probably close to worn out.<br /><br />Parts are readily available for that motor.<br /><br />If well maintained it should be a great motor. Some prefer the 4 cylinder motors over the 3 cylinder.<br /><br />Check the lower unit for signs of moisture and smooth shifting. Check the spark to see if it is consistent and strong on each cylinder. Should jump a 3/8" gap.<br /><br />If you can, take it for a run on the water and through all speed ranges. Shift it, and make sure the gears sound ok.<br /><br />For a pontoon boat, you will want a smaller pitch prop. Be sure to aim for 5500rpm at WOT. If it is overpropped it will lug the engine and result in damage.