1983, 9.8 sudden power depreciation

Tom Bixler

Recruit
After running for a 2-3 minutes (for the first time in over a month) the motor ran very strong but was not circulating water. I stopped and let it cool for a while (it was not acting up yet & I had been trolling for most of it before I noticed). I then checked the intake & found nothing, pulled off the cover, started it up (started right up) ,pulled the rubber pisser hose off the 90 degree plastic nipple in the block and blew out a bunch of crud. When I went to put it back on I touched or got too close to some wire in the area and it shocked me twice hard enough to make me curse a little. Water was still not coming out so I shut it back down and went to work on the 90 degree nipple. it used to be finger tight but corrosion had locked it in and after only getting it half way out it broke off. I restarted the engine in this state to see if there was any circulation and there was, only problem was I could no longer direct it (pretty much sprayed all over the place) I had to take it home like that and hit the gas...it couldn't get off a plane. The whole trip home it ran a little rough and about one third power. I tried pulling one plug wire and then the other and it ran the same (not quite as well) in iether situation...I am stumped.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1983, 9.8 sudden power depreciation

check your compression. work on getting the rest of the 90 out. post your compresion.

Tommy Bixler

Recruit

OK...I have 110 in both cylinders. Preasure slowly drains after test.

Tommy Bixler

Recruit

anybody know what the compression is supposed to be for this motor?

Tommy Bixler

Recruit

OK so the compression is fine. Is there a possibility it is electrical? more specifically, could the water all over the engine cause a temporary short that brought the power way down while the cooling system was spraying everywhere (should I put the whole thing back together and take it for a test spin expecting it to run fine)? could geting shocked burn something out that whould instantly decrease the power that significantly, even though the motor started and idled fine?