Need help with 1976 Mercury 85

blevi

Recruit
I recently dropped the l/u to replace the water pump impeller. I left the shifter in neutral, apparently not knowing any better. As with others who have tackled this, the l/u wouldn't go back easy. After reading several posts(and doing the job solo), I pulled the spark plugs to aid in turning the flywheel, put the shifter in reverse, and the l/u went right up while turning the flywheel. Put everything back together to check the water pump and it worked fine. However, no matter if the shifter is in forward, neutral, or reverse, the prop is turning clockwise all the time. I'm figuring that I did something wrong with moving the shifter control. I have went back and dropped the l/u again. How do I reinstall this time so that everything goes back like it was before I started?

roger3645

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need help with 1976 Mercury 85

Okay blevi I've done this several times but let me try to explain it. First as long as the LU and remote shifter are set for the same gear it doesn't matter which gear you use. Your currently in forward. Try turning the driveshaft clockwise and the LU shift shaft counter clockwise you should work thru to neutral. Make sure your remote shifter is in neutral and re-install.

blevi

Recruit

OK, I've checked that the prop is spinning freely. I did this my moving the shifter shaft until the prop was free. The control shifter is in the nuetral position. I've pulled the l/u up and turned the flywheel CW to engage the driveshaft. The l/u will come on up now but in turning the flywheel CW, the prop turns CCW. Am I still OK?

blevi

Recruit

My mistake- I thought the prop was turning but it was actually still free. Bolted l/u up and checked gears with motor running. Everything working fine...thanks for the help. One thing I noticed though, when I shifted to reverse, the engine speed went up. Is that normal? I don't remember it doing that before.