Buying a boat - HOW LONG DO OUTBOARDS LAST?

butteco

Seaman
I am thinkng about buying a really cool 74 Carlson Mod. Tunnel "speed boat". Basically a flat bottom with fork up front. <br /><br />It has a late 60's / early 70's MERCURY 100 motor on it that has been meticulously maintained. <br /><br />The owner says he has had it in his family since 74' and that he always takes care of it and changes fluid every year yadda yadda... <br /><br />I ran a compression test and all the cylinders were close, with the greatest difference being 8psi. The plugs were newer so I couldn't read them very well but they looked clean... Has new dual points and condenser etc... <br /><br /><br />I am a first time boat buyer - I know nothing about outboards... <br /><br />Sorry for the rambling:<br /><br />I AM WONDERING HOW LONG AN OUTBOARD MOTOR CAN LAST? I know it is impossible to tell me how long this motor will last, but in general? What are some signs of a failing motor?<br /><br />In other words, if I buy this boat, will the motor continue to perform so long as long as I take care of it? Or is a 60's/70's motor most likely an "antique" and junk??? <br /><br />I plan to just do some 3/4 throttle cruising and maybe pull a skier or two...

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Buying a boat - HOW LONG DO OUTBOARDS LAST?

They can last a long, long time. My '74 Mercury 150hp was running great until I killed it recently. :) The '72 replacement should also run great if I ever get everything bolted back together...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 1947 Sea King runs like a top, butteco. There are thousands of JohnnyRudes from the 50s and 60s still in regular use.<br /><br />I think most outboards pretty much last until neglect, abuse or bad luck kills them.

paulford8

Cadet

JB why do you lock discussions? I posted in inboard b/c nobody responded in outboard and my motor is an inboard!! You locked the inboard!! WHY!!<br /><br />I have a 57 thompson with a 62 evinrude lark 40hp. Motor has needed a few tuneups but runs great. Also the good thing about outboard boats is that if it does chuck there are used outboards out there. You can take a different brand, year, hp, and put it on your boat. My prob now is this jet boat I was given, rare inboard has chucked and I cant just open up the classifieds and find another like I could with an outboard.

butteco

Seaman

Sure the points and condenser and fuel pumps may go bad, <br /><br />BUT WHAT ABOUT THE PISTONS/RINGS???? Surely they have to be worn beyond their prime??? Thats the kind of thing I am worried about on an older motor such as this... <br /><br />WHAT KIND OF COMPRESSION SHOULD AN EARLY 70's MERC 100 HAVE; to be considered "in good shape" where I wouldn't have to worry about blowing it up the first trip out on the lake!!! <br /><br />BUT WHAT ABOUT CARBURETORS?<br />Aside from getting clogged - do they fail or just get out of tune???

tommays

Admiral

there are used motors and USED-UP motors big difference<br /><br /><br />short of pulling the heads and haveing a look at the cylinder wall condition and water jackets its a wild guess at best<br /><br />you might want to look into what spare parts are still easy to get OR NOT<br /><br />you should look into if a shop in you area will still service it many places will NOT work on very old motors<br /><br />tommays

phatmanmike

Captain

i just sold my 1976 merc 1150 115hp inline 6 because it was too big for my boat, but...<br /><br />it ran perfect and had 160lbs compression in each of its six holes.<br /><br />check the compression and you should be golden.<br /><br />peace

kozman01

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 69' Merc 800 seems to be running fine. A bit tempermental, but she pushes my 16 footer as good as any other motor.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Paul.<br /><br />You have mail.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

The compression test will probably be your best indicator of what shape that motor is in. If you maintain it, it will probably give you years of good service. Motors can be very good or very bad depending upon the care factor. Stalker

Paul Moir

Admiral

I agree completely with tommays: compression won't tell the whole story. I recently tore down a '65 J/E that must have seen commercial service by the wear. Although it read a healthy 105/100 PSI, the ring end-gaps were around 1/4" and the piston to cylinder clearance had opened far past wear tolerances. You should do one anyway to make sure the engine's not damaged (no more than a 10% varience).<br />I'm pretty sure it's the only outboard I've seen that had worn out rather than had been abused or neglected to death. I've already got some new parts (pistons, starter motor brushes, etc) on order for it since otherwise it's in fine shape.

butteco

Seaman

Okay - SOME REALLY GOOD ADVICE HERE! <br /><br />I did do a compression check and the cylinders are not more than 10% apart from each other... <br /><br />With that said - it is an older motor... Are boat motors reliable or can they can check out fine compression wise and then blow up the first time you really hammer down the throttle? <br /><br />Okay, going to try and switch up the topic here:<br /><br />I GUESS WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IS WHAT BOAT I SHOULD BUY... This will be my first boat EVER.<br /><br />I don't have enough $$$ to buy the boat and then the motor (im a starving college student looking for some decent summer fun) so I am limited to somebodies project, or old boat; I really just want something fast on the lake that has enough power to pull a skier. OH, AND Everyone and there brother has a 16-19' cruiser; I want something unique!<br /><br />First question: Inboard or Outboard?<br /><br />I am currently looking at the following boats of which are in my pricerange: <br /><br />* 1970 18'6" Carlson Mod. Tunnel (flat bottom back, tunnel front) w/early 70's MERC. 100HP. Very well taken care of. Seats 4 plus gear... <br /><br />* 1974 12 foot Archcraft; 2 seat cockpit; late 60's, early 70's 40 hp merc. No idea of the history on the motor... Compression is good. <br /><br />* 1968 Ski/Fish fiberglass cruiser I/O Merc 120. Seats 5 plus gear. NEEDS A STARTER. <br /><br />So maybe some advice? I obviously want something that seats at least 2 people (or I would have kept my jetski!)... Maybe some insight as to weight to power ratios? Hull designs etc... Is the I/O better than an Outboard? and any other things a first time boat owner may not think about!!! <br /><br />THANKS AGAIN ALL - I am really surprised with how active this forum is!!!!

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

butteco, you want your cake and eat it too!, You want unique, reliable fast and pwerful plus you want some assurance that nothing bad, inconvenient, expensive or unpleasant will happen to you while you are out on the water! And you want all that on a college students budget!<br /><br />Not to kill your enthusiasm, just do a reality check and perhaps narrow your priorities a bit.<br /><br />This is your first boat so the focus should perhaps be on your learning curve, saftey and fun of course, but keep it basic, lots of people here can give you good specific feedback on the boats your listed but your list of criteria is a bit large..good luck

butteco

Seaman

I found the unique boats I want! I listed them above! (well the first 2 are unique - the 3rd is just avg...)<br /><br />Obviously things can go wrong with the motor that is why I am here - to try and see what kinds of things I can check to make sure I am getting something that has been taken care of and in good running order!<br /><br />How long do piston rings usually last? I have no clue on a marine motor! On a car they can last 150,000+ miles (with an obvious loss of compression)! <br /><br />I also wanted to know if I/O is better than Outboard! <br /><br />I am just here looking for pointers on what to look out for when buying a boat.

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a Boston Whaler, more often then not you get your $ back on them.<br />Try to find one with no bottom paint { Ok now I'm pushing it } & a motor @ least from the mid 1990's or newer with good compression, no rusty steering arms , that'll get you started.<br />Start with a 13' get one made after 1973 with the 20 " transom if possible, easier to sell & a slightly better boat with a 40 HP .<br />With a trailer one that needs some cosmetic work but is sound with a decent motor will run you about 3 grand..<br />The good thing is you should get it back when you decide to move up or discover boatings a pain in the *** & expensive & you want out of the hobby :)

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's really hard to quantify how long boat motors last, cars are measured in miles, boats, if at all, are measured in hours. This was discussed in another threat sometime in the past. But like everything else the answer to your question "depends"<br /><br />The IO/OB questions as far as I can tell a matter of opinion, IMO go with the outbaords first. They are easier to change out completley and easier to get to all the parts and there are alot of them out there.<br /><br />Some memebrs smarter than me can elaborate or guide you in specific things to look for.

butteco

Seaman

What about the boats etc... <br /><br />Is the Carlson a good hull? And with 100HP, granted it's old, will it still fly around the lake? <br /><br />Or is the 12 archcraft witha 40HP faster???

paulford8

Cadet

I am for the outboards to!! My 63 40hp has always ran strong. Only probs have been carbs. Any two stroke motor will eventually need a carb rebuild. HOwever it is very easy, and if you use fuel stabolizer and let the motor run out of gas when you take it out of the water the carbs can go years without any fits......

paulford8

Cadet

-speed- my 15 foot 1957 thompson with a 40hp can get up around 30mph. Pretty fast for an old little boat, not the fastest boat on the lake but fast enough! it is small and light. Probs with smaller fast boats is that you get air borne when going fast and hitting wakes.

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Outboards have a long life. The biggest problem, if you are mechanically handy, is finding parts. If not mechanically handy then not only parts but also someone to repair them. Most shops do not fix older motors as once they repair them(after finding parts etc) the cost is prohibitive and they get stuck with them as the owners do not want to pay.