Arrgggghh!! Adjusting Merc throttle/shift cables.

CanadianZ

Cadet
I recently purchased a used throttle control box from a boat of very similar size to mine. I installed the cables and when I have the control box and motor in N the trunionis adjusted to to the end of the threads and the motor will not go into F. It does go into R though but when trying to shift into F the linkage hits the trunion.<br /><br />Can this be adjusted in the control box?? Does anyone have any suggestions?? I still have the old throttle contols and they look almost identicle.<br /><br />Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.<br /><br />CanadianZ

ricksrster

Commander
Re: Arrgggghh!! Adjusting Merc throttle/shift cables.

Whwt do you mean by "almost identical"? Make sure the motor is in neutral. Adjust your shift cable to fit in the connecter and the barrel fits in its proper place at the motor end. Now try adjusting the control end of the cables to fit with control in neutral position. Some controls have another hole on the connenting arm of the control for shorter travel.

CanadianZ

Cadet

I haven't taken the control box end of the controls apart yet. Would the cable be adjustable at that end??<br /><br />When the end of the throttle cable fits on the motor shift linkage in N and I adjust the trunion to fit the hole it ends up at the end of the threads closest to the motor end of the shift cable. SO when I try to shift into F the black connector hits the trunion.<br /><br />I need to adjust the cable to allow the trunion to be set farther back (only an inch or two) from the cable shift connector end. (push more cable from the control end to the motor end) CAn this be done in the throttle control box?? <br /><br />Thanks, I hope that explains things a little bit better. <br /><br />CanadianZ<br /><br />PS Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to get out on the water tomorrow!!

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

A picture might help to trouble shoot.<br /><br />Are you -sure- that you have the throttle and shift cable identified? The shift cable is the one that moves first, when you advance the throttle arm at the helm.<br /><br />Were the controls you bought previously used on a new motor, or an older motor, or?

CanadianZ

Cadet

Definitely have the right throtle and shift cables identified. I checked the old controls and they seem exactly the same. <br /><br />If there is a way to adjust the cable in the control box where the cable attaches to the shift handle that seems like the only way to fix the problem. Is this an option??<br /><br />CanadianZ<br /><br />
Originally posted by AMD Rules:<br /> A picture might help to trouble shoot.<br /><br />Are you -sure- that you have the throttle and shift cable identified? The shift cable is the one that moves first, when you advance the throttle arm at the helm.<br /><br />Were the controls you bought previously used on a new motor, or an older motor, or?
Check Sig for motor