25 hp Mariner problems.

duster

Recruit
I recently put my pontoon boat in the lake and when I took it out for a drive it quit running and wouldn't restart.When I got it back to the dock and checked into it I found it wasn't getting any fuel.I unscrewed the fuel filter and the fuel in there was cloudy and thick.I cleaned the filter and put it back together and it will start and run but only if I keep choking it or keep it up on fast idle.Any thoughts?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 25 hp Mariner problems.

Sound like some of that goo got into your carb, duster.<br /><br />Needs a good carb cleaning.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Clean those carbs, also clean out your fuel tank as it sounds like that goo was coming from there in the first place, also remember to make sure your fuel tank's cap air screw is open when running your engine ......

duster

Recruit

I just spoke to a local small engine guy and he says he carb is probably gummed up and needs to be cleaned.I was going to try to run it to clean it out but he says it might run lean and burn it up so I guess I'll wait for him to clean it.<br />Thanks for the response guys.

mnthompson

Recruit

I know this is 2 years later but for those of you reading this to find answers to your problem:
You also want to make sure you change your fuel line. It's best to just replace a 10 dollar part then mess up a $100+ carb. Though I think you would have been fine spraying carb cleaner through it.