merc 400 impeller?

nekot1

Cadet
I bought a 1961 merc 400 the guy said he thought the water pump was bad but not sure. so i took it out on the water to see if it was peeing at all. well it peed fine while it idled in neutral the when i put it in forward it peed for a couple of minutes and quit when i gave it about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. i shut down for a while then started so i could get back to shore but first i checked water and it was peeing in neutral again. Could i have a bad impeller or could it just be clogged? the first time i let it idle for about 5mins.

Laddies

Banned
Re: merc 400 impeller?

Ck and see if the telltale hose is plugged, but put a impeller in the engine anyway, the early 400 would build a steam dome and pop a hole in the top cyl. with just the symptoms you discribed

nekot1

Cadet

what type of tool do i need to take off the water pump housing cover? it looks like i may need a specialty tool but what else could work?

Laddies

Banned

First I must apoligies, when I blabed I was thnking 71-400 your engine is not prone to that problem, but it probable still needs a w/pump imp. we have a mecr spanner to use there are some 2 post spanners around that will work also, I know someone is going to say a hammer and punch I wouldn't recommend that only as last resort