a few noob questions here about fuel line connections

bobbypressley

Recruit
hello everyone, I'm a noob to the fourm and first off let me say hello, and thank you for such a awesome fourm.<br /> <br /> I just recieved a 13' bugg boat for a wedding present.Its a narrow fiberglass fishing boat with a 20 hp mercury thunderbolt motor. I'm not sure If its a 2 or 4 stroke motor. I'm assuming the motor was purchased along with the boat in new condition. in 1985<br /> the motor is the pull start kind with the throttle control handle like a motorcycle .<br /> well I'm almost ready to go fishing except I cant find the right fuel line and fittings. the hole in the motor where the fuel line connects seems to be smaller than all the ones in the store. does anyone know what I'm talking about.??<br /> I've already bought 2 fuel lines and I'm getting frustrated.<br /> also one more question. I found this number on the clamp part of the motor (1427-5612 alcoa 200) is this my serial number<br /> thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: a few noob questions here about fuel line connections

That should take a 5/16" fuel line. I imagine you are finding the 3/8" ones. Those are most common in the Walmarts and such. Try a Merc. Dealer for the correct one or you can order them here...<br /><br /> Fuel Lines and connectors<br /><br />Oh, BTW, it's a 2 stroke motor and that number doesn't add up for me...A 1985 model would have numbers like these: 9415031 - 9439511

bobbypressley

Recruit

hey thanks rick, one more question if I may. where might I find my serial number.???<br /> thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you go fishing you best figure out whether you have a two or four stroke motor. Four strokes are like the engine in your car. It has a crankcase that requires four stroke engine oil. Look for a dipstick to check oil level. Two strokes require fuel/oil mix. Some do it by oil injection others require a premix. Know what you have so you don't ruin the motor first outing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Before you go fishing you best figure out whether you have a two or four stroke motor. Four strokes are like the engine in your car. It has a crankcase that requires four stroke engine oil. Look for a dipstick to check oil level. Two strokes require fuel/oil mix. Some do it by oil injection others require a premix. Know what you have so you don't ruin the motor first outing.

bobbypressley

Recruit

Originally posted by Upinsmoke:<br /> Before you go fishing you best figure out whether you have a two or four stroke motor. Four strokes are like the engine in your car. It has a crankcase that requires four stroke engine oil. Look for a dipstick to check oil level. Two strokes require fuel/oil mix. Some do it by oil injection others require a premix. Know what you have so you don't ruin the motor first outing.
the motor is in the shop right now, getting checked out by a professional. And after he checks it out he's going to show me everything about it. I would deffantally not go out with out knowing my motor.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I figured when he said "Thunderbolt", it was safe to assume it was an older 2 stroke...