Lost keys... change ignition or get one made?

steinjo

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a used pontoon with a 90 hp Mercury sn# 0G556703 that didn't have keys...<br /><br />Thought it would be simple to change the ignition switch.<br /><br />Well, it has the "push to choke" feature and it has the following configuration in a counterclockwise order:<br /><br />red /purple<br />red<br />black / yellow<br />red / yellow<br />black<br />black<br />purple <br />purple<br />black / yellow (not being used)<br />black / yellow <br /><br />Any idea where to get this 10 wire switch? I've searched dozens of marine supply sites and have found Mercury or Quicksilver 6 wire switches but not 10. Or, can I get a key made?

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lost keys... change ignition or get one made?

Those keys are available from Mercury. Look for a code number molded on the switch casing, or on a label. The last digits are the key code ie. "2B". There are 12 possibilities 1A through 2F. If you cannot find that number, most dealer/service centers should have a key ring with various keys on it to try.

steinjo

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks "1C" Glad I didn't cut all of the wires..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

go to oldmercs.com click "new electric start componets. they have all the keys.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Perfect. For $2.50/ea you're back in business.

A bit late but I discovered this a while back,<br />Duct tape a spare key to the underside of your<br />motor cowl. Stuff happens, especially when your<br />near water.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

musky great idea.

swist

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This episode may also lead you to observe how few combinations of keys are actually made for boats.<br /><br />If you wander around a marina and try to start every control of the same brand you will have a pretty good chance of finding one that fits.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

That's true, but unlike most vehicles these days there's not much protection that a key can provide for an outboard motor regardless of how special the key profile is. The electrical system itself is very simplistic, especially on older motors.<br /><br />Anyone with a wire to jump the starting solenoid, and a basic know-how of the electrical system can start the motor relatively easily. No key required. The key itself provides a false sense of security for the owner, and perhaps a minor deterant to would-be thieves.