FROZEN MERCURY 3 CLY 65 HP

magster

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />Thought you might steer me in the right direction with my problem. I have an older 65 HP Mercury outboard 3 cly.(1975) that has sat outside on a stored boat for 4 years. I was told it ran well when stored ( who knows?) but now doen't turn over. I was thinking of using a special Kroil rust penetrating oil on it which is supposed to penetrate a millionths of an inch. Do you think this is a lost cause? I was thinking of removing the exhaust port cover to inspect the piston /cylinder as well as adding the penetrating oil in the spark plug holes. I am willing to put the effort in if it is possible to free it up. If I have to remove the head, are individual head gaskets available?<br /><br />Since I don’t know the reason it is stuck, Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />MM :confused: <br /> <br /><br />Neil Marcus

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: FROZEN MERCURY 3 CLY 65 HP

Hey Neil<br /><br />It's worth a try to free it up. Try putting some marval mystery oil in the spark plug holes with the engine tilted up and let it sit a day or two. Then try to move the flywheel back and forth by hand a little at a time and see if she turns. Might be a good idea though to take a closer look by taking the heads off. But give it a shot first and see what happens. Nothing to lose at this point. Probably rust on the walls...Were the spark plugs still in it?? Could also be the lower unit is froze up and not allowing the powerhead to turn over...While you're waiting for the oil to work, might as well drop the lower unit anyway. gonna have to replace the waterpump sooner or later...

magster

Recruit

hi rick,<br />The plugs were in and looked like they were burning properly, with some indication of deposit build up.<br /><br />thanks,<br />N

saumon

Lieutenant

Have a look at the "Awakening a Sleeping Outboard" post in the FAQ section. Very useful!