insanely hard to get impeller in housing?

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer
I just changed the impeller on my 72 650 (3 cylinder) and was wondering if it is normal for it to be insanely difficult to get the new impeller in the housing? <br /><br />The service manual said to put the impeller on and then put the housing on while turning the drive shaft. All this seemed to accomplish was to tear the lower water pump housing gasket, as the impeller is way larger than the upper water pump housing. I had to take the upper housing and impeller off and spend like 30 mins jamming the impeller into the housing. I'd swear it was the wrong part except that there aren't that many Merc impellers and the one that came out has the same part number stamped on it as the one that went in (47-89983). The old one, however, has "cupped" fins and the new one has straight fins, but I assumed the cupping was due to wear.<br /><br />I searched the old messages and didn't see anyone mentioning it being difficult to do, am I just a wuss or did I screw the pooch and put the wrong impeller on?<br /><br /><br />Thanks,<br />Eli

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: insanely hard to get impeller in housing?

The fins are straight when new. Did you try putting dish soap on the impeller before installing? Helps it slide into the housing...BTW-47-89983 is the correct impeller....

Cookiemonster

Seaman Apprentice

The important part is to turn the driveshaft clockwise whilst inserting the impeller into the housing. <br /><br />Like Rick said, the fins are straight when new and will have a slight bend in them once inserted into the housing. It should be a tight fit.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Never hurts to have an extra set of hands at that point to turn the driveshaft while you position the housing....

Clams Canino

Commander

Dishsoap or KY - never try to insert it dry.<br /><br />-W

eli_lilly

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the help (and Clams little rhyme too)!