96' Mariner 90HP 2 stroke - maybe flooding?

muskiekid

Cadet
Hi guys,<br />I've come across a problem and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.<br /><br />I took the boat out for the first time this year and it fired up and ran perfect. I turned off the motor and fished for about an hour at my secret honey hole. When I tried to start the motor, it would not start and I could smell gas. I unplugged the gas line and turned the key and it fired up right away. I left it idling for a couple of minutes until it used up the remaining gas. I then hooked up the gas line and it fired up right away. I then went home and inspected the plugs and they needed to be brushed and cleaned. <br /><br />The next day, I had the exact same problem. Can anybody ease my mind?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.<br />Kirk

Laddies

Banned
Re: 96' Mariner 90HP 2 stroke - maybe flooding?

Sounds like a inlet needle stuck in a carb, see if it will pump up and not leak if it don't, try to run it again once in awhile on first start up that happens

muskiekid

Cadet

Thanks for your reply Laddies. Is the only way of freeing the inlet needle to take apart the carb? Is there any easy remidies I can do before having to take it in to the shop?<br /><br />I pump the primer bulb and it stays hard so I assume it does not leak. <br /><br />After I unhooked the gas line it starts up fine and after burning up most of the fuel I can plug hook the gas line back up and I'm good to go.. until I stop. <br /><br />Last night I took the Silencer off and there was lots of fuel.<br /><br />Oh, by the way, it is a 97' not a 96' if that makes any difference.<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Kirk

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a Sea Foam candidate. Sea Foam instructions are all over this site, including where to get it. It should dissolve any gum or varnish that may be attempting to interfere with your fuel system.<br /><br />I was reluctant to follow recommondations from the guys (and gals) in the know here, but I finally did and I now am a convinced user.<br /><br />Mark

muskiekid

Cadet

Would Sea Foam free a sticky inlet needle or do you think I have a different problem?

muskiekid

Cadet

Thanks Texasmark. I'll pick up a can of the Sea Foam and give it a try this weekend.

muskiekid

Cadet

Ok, doing some research on this site, I'm still a little unsure. To free the sticky inlet needle, should I be doing a decarb like what is in the FAQ or should I just spary the Sea Foam (deep creep) into the carbs?<br /><br />Thanks.

lrice01

Petty Officer 3rd Class

muskiekid,<br /><br />I think that what is being suggested here is to add the Seafoam engine treatment to your gas supply. Check out the products at: http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.htm <br /><br />Great stuff! I have used a can in each of my last two tanks of gas and my Mercury 75hp 3 cylinder has never run or idled better! <br /><br />Good luck!..............Lee

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I think the gas supply is the best answer. There are several ways to decarb, but adding to the gas will definitely do it, but it may take awhile.<br /><br />What I have found out is that after having added it to my gas, I go out on a trip and run and get certain performance. Then I come home and the boat sits, but there is still fuel in carbs and in the fuel supply line, so for the week or so that the boat sits at the house, it is working on the problem.<br /><br />Then the next time I'm out everything is better and the next time better and so on. This progression has happened for 3 trips now and she is purring like a kitten at idle and starts much easier.<br /><br />HTH,<br /><br />Mark

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Adding SeaFoam to the fuel causes it to pass through the entire fuel system and it will clean things up. It may take a bit of time however for the product to do its work. Decarb is sort of like an enema for your engine. It's an overdose of SeaFoam and will loosen carb deposits in the engine. It might provide a more immediate fix for a sticky inlet needle. Be aware that it creates an awful mess if done on your driveway and creates lots of smoke.

muskiekid

Cadet

Thank you iboats and all its members. I added 1 and a half bottles of sea foam to the fuel and drove up to the lake. I got out on the lake and sprayed about 1/3 can of Deep Creep into the carbs. The flooding has seemed to vanish and it idles WAY nicer. I too am now a true believer in Sea foam... And IBOATS!