Any Experts on Timing a 2 stroke out their?

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1998 Mercury 60HP 2 stroke 3 cylinder. It has been rebuilt by me and its my first time. I have replaced the stator in the same position that it came off and the trigger coil seems to only go one way. The fly wheel can only go on one way as well. The manual says timing at idle should be between 2o ATDC to 6o BTDC. If I set the timing to that the engine will not start. If I set the timing to 10o BTDC the engine starts. What should I do? Is it time to pay a shop to time it?. Any clues where I went wrong?<br /><br />Thanks

OperativeK

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Any Experts on Timing a 2 stroke out their?

I think you should clean your plugs run it for a couple minutes read the plug(hot or cold, etc.) then based on that make the necessary advance or change.<br /><br />If you are running too cold the plugs will be getting black and greasy, if your too hot they will be closer to a white.<br /><br />You don't want too hot.

Clams Canino

Commander

You need to set the timing as per the procedure in the manual (or have a shop time it). The above advice is likly to melt pistons if the net advance is too far ahead. In addition, if it has surface gap plugs, they are virtually unreadable.<br /><br /> What went wrong could be as simple as the timing pointer being a little off. But make sure the max advance is NEVER more than the specs.<br /><br />Also... one usually advances the throttle (timeing) to start a motor.. then reduce to idle when warm. Most of them need a few degrees advace to START.<br /><br />-W

cmyers_uk

Thanks guys. I was following the procedure in the manual. Not wanting to melt the pistons I will get a shop to do it.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

cmyers_uk

couldn't give in that easily. Found I had not put two poppit check values in. Now got it ticking over at 4o BTDC which is within the range specified in the manual. Need to get it on the water to check the Wide Open Timing.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Chris

Clams Canino

Commander

You can check the WOT timing staticly with the plugs out also, then double check in the water.<br /><br />-W

cmyers_uk

Clams,<br /><br />I have been re-reading your post on timing and sync of inline mercs and its given me a few questions. Are these correct assumptions.<br /><br />a) My manual states idle timing 2o ATDC - 6o BTDC. My assumption is that I use the idle timing adjustment to advance the timing until I achieve the desired rpm in neutral around 800rpm? (I have achieved this with 4o BTDC) i.e it is the advancing of the timing that sets the idle rpm's?.<br /><br />b) Put into gear then check rpm the aim is to get 650 - 700 rpm in gear and this is done again by adjusting the idle timing to achieve this within the range set in the manual(upto 6o BTDC)?<br /><br />c) Once running at 650 - 700 in gear. I then adjust the idle mixture screws to get as smooth running as possible. I am assuming the changing of the mixture is not intended to change the revs?<br /><br />I understand how to check the max advance at cranking, checking on the water at 5000 rpm seems a little tricky :)<br /><br />Thanks for all your help. This is one of those things that I need to understand but I'm obviously a bit on the slow side.<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris