Water Impeller???

brburcham80

Cadet
I have another one for all of you. I have a 77 Merc 1150. After a long battle of trying to get it running I have noticed that the water coming from the pee hole is very hot. It is actually steaming. I shut it off once that started. It seems to take a long time to get water to start peeing. I am running on muffs. The problem I just fixed was a very very ruff idle. It wouldnt run fast enough to pump water, but I never ran it very long. I am wondering if the impeller is bad now?? <br /><br />It did pump water fine before the idle problem. Impeller, water pump, or something else. Or could it just be due to running on muffs???<br /><br />Thanks for the help.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Water Impeller???

If the muffs didn't supply enough water it burned the impeller

studlymandingo

Commander

When was the last time the impeller was replaced?<br /><br />I replace my impeller every season. Cheap insurance. If you question whether or not it is good, change it. It is a simple task, not too expensive, and the peace of mind it offers is worth much more than the time and money put together. If you still have a problem once you have changed the impeller, you have taken that out of the equation.

emckelvy

Commander

Change the impeller pronto! Get one at www.boatfix.com for Dirt Cheap ($9.67). Sierra Part Number 18-3017 or check out their deal on a complete upper pump housing kit, 18-3517, for $20.32. All the gaskets, upper pump housing, cup insert, impeller, etc you'll need to do the job. <br /><br /> http://www.boatfix.com/bykeywordnew2.asp?textfield=183517&texttype=2&submit=Search <br /><br />Absolutely DO NOT run the motor until you've addressed the cooling issues!!!!!<br /><br />After you pull the lower unit, blow air up the water tube, or hook up a water supply, to check for obstructions in the powerhead water passages or water tube. You should get a strong air/water flow from the telltale and lots of airflow/water out the midsection. Don't exceed 15 psi air or water pressure.<br /><br />BTW when using flushing muffs, there should be enough water pressure to have a slight amount spilling from around the muffs while the motor is running. This ensures that the suction side of the pump is positively flooded and keeps it from sucking air and burning up the impeller. Also, never exceed 1500 rpm while idling on a flusher. Revving the motor with with no load is especially Harsh on the rods/bearings.<br /><br />HTH..........ed

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Merc1150, At idle in your driveway, the water from the telltale should be no more than lukewarm, if the pump is functioning properly, and has enough supply. It would seem your pump is very inadequate. I recommend you get the impeller repair kit with the plate, impeller and gaskets.

brburcham80

Cadet

I will try to get the parts ordered this week. I have a service manual, but is this a pretty easy job to do the impeller repair kit??<br /><br />Thanks<br />Brad

brburcham80

Cadet

Thanks Clams, and everyone else for the great help. I am checking boatfix.com for the parts and hope to order them tommarow. Hopefully I wont have any problems with the replacement. This is my first boat, and first outboard experience. All the advice definitly pays off. I will post after I get the impeller/pump changed.<br /><br />Thanks again.<br />Brad