90 HP MERC TROUBLES

buckhunt

Recruit
The problem I have is that when I took the boat out on the water for the first time it was running at full throttle and all of sudden it slowed down and I could not go fast anymore. I replaced the plugs,water separator,new prop and had new ignition packs installed. The gas is fresh and the oil mixture is the same as I always used. Never had a problem with it until now. It is a 1984 90HP inline 6. Anybody have any suggestions? It was also suggested that it could be a bearing or the forward gear? How difficult would it be to fix myself and does anyone have info on how to do this? :confused:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90 HP MERC TROUBLES

Don't know if you have a thermostat. That sounds like a "stuck closed" stat with no bypass valve working in conjunction with it.....which Merc's have nowadays.<br /><br />I had an OMC 70 hp once that the stat was going out. It would stick more and more each time I used it. Same type problem. The pistons/rings would get hot and swell up in the cylinder and the moving friction slowed the engine down.<br /><br />Finally this baffling performance came to an abrupt end. I was running at WOT one day, right out of the ramp (no wake zone) and it siezed up tight. Boat came to a complete stop real fast.<br /><br />Upon teardown at home later, I had galled aluminum all over everything in the cylinders. I didn't even know it had a stat.<br /><br />Once you determine if you do, and if you do, take it out and test it in a pan of slowly heating water. 120 degrees to start opening is a popular number for outboards.<br /><br />Next, pull your plugs, all of them, and inspect the cylinder walls of all the cylinders (thru the sparkplug hole) and look for galling. With just 40 hrs on the engine, the crosshatch honing pattern should be nice and even and clearly visable. Possible that the walls may have started to shine up.<br /><br />HTH,<br /><br />Mark

Laddies

Banned

There is no thermostat or bypass valve on that engine. Ck compression, then make sure you have spark on all cyl. if you have spark then you need to clean the carbs and install a fuel pump kit

boatnfreek

Recruit

start on the basics, compression, fire, gas ,could be: stator, fuel pump, power packs??? <br />good luck