Mounting new motor

copperfinger

Cadet
Hi all<br /><br />I want to mount my new 2006 25hp mercury to my 13.5ft aluminum boat. I see on the motor what looks like 2 holes that I can permanitly bolt it to the transum. My question is that what these holes are for, and if so do I just drill through the transum. How do I keep the water, or leaking from these holes that I drilled? What is the best method to do this?<br /><br />Thanks for any help

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mounting new motor

Those holes are there for you to use to permanently mount your engine. This is optional. <br /><br />If you choose to do so, it is simply a matter of marking the holes and drilling. If the transom has wood in it, mix up some 5-minute epoxy and cover all of the exposed wood in the hole. Then seal the bolts with caulk when you mount the engine. Be sure to you large fender washers on the inside of the boat to distribute the load when tightening the bolt.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

recommend using the bolts, as it slow thieves down, and is a deterent.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Those bolts do more than make it slower for theives, they keep the motor from jumping completely off the transom while in operation. Thumbs screws alone are at risk of loosening over time, and you may find yourself looking back and wishing you drilled the holes.<br /><br />Make sure to use a marine waterproof sealant in the holes.

madmarlin

Seaman Apprentice

If you need to remove motor on regular basis, ie: if travelling offroad, then would recomend not bolting on as resealing holes can be troblesome, I have used small lenght of chain padlocked between thumb screws this slows theives and stops them from working loose. If you don't need to remove engine then bolt it on.