Mariner 200hp EFI '94 Wiring Problem

stuarttz

Recruit
Hi All.<br /><br />Looking for any suggestions regarding a wiring problem I have on my Mariner Magnum 200hp EFI (Ser# 0G076889)<br /><br />Initially, my stator went so got that replaced. Got the engine running, but only with the kill wires disconnected on the power packs, and with the low oil alarm going. I thought this was an ignition switch problem so replaced that to no avail. Next idea was to disconnect the alarm from the ignition (I know not the best option), the engine then ran fine (for about 30min) until the fuel pump stopped. Again, bought another fuel pump - this was not the problem - since then I have had the ECU tested but that has come out fine. <br /><br />Does anyone have any idea's as to where the fault could lie ? I know the best option is to send it in but I live in Tanzania so there are no competent dealers here. Short of flying up a mechanic from South Africa, I am at a loss.<br /><br />I recall seeing that the engine cuts after 30min-45min once the oil alarm sounds. Could this be the case ?<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Stuart

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mariner 200hp EFI '94 Wiring Problem

First things first.<br /><br />Do you have good even compression, no more than 10% difference between any cylinder. Do you have spark on all cylinders? If so.<br /><br />Do you replace the kill (mercury) switch. This has the blk/yel wires running to it from the switchboxes.<br /><br />I'd run a premix until you sort out the oil problem.<br /><br />Have you checked the recirc. lines on the engine?

stuarttz

Recruit

Not sure about the compresion, all cylinders are firing. Checked this when I replaced the stator. <br /><br />I am not sure what you mean by recirc lines ? I have just replaced all the fuel lines from the tank etc. <br /><br />Forgot to mention that when I switch on the ignition the fuel pump should run for about 30sec but this is not happening, it is completly dead. Thats why I thought you may have to reset the ECU or something ?<br /><br />Thanks.<br />Stuart

stuarttz

Recruit

Another question. ..<br /><br />If I run on premix should I then just run it with no oil in the normal outside resevoir or just leave it all connected?<br /><br />Thanks again ...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

do you have the service manual?<br /> without it your sunk.<br /> at key on power the high pressure pump should run 2-5 seconds. fuel rail pressure should stay about 35 PSI.<br /> have you checked the emergency stop switch as well as the mercury switch? the system "kills" by taking the blk/yellow wires to ground.<br /> there is no auto shutoff for ANY alarms.<br />the test procedure for the oil pump rotation sensor and the oil level sensor is in the manual and will require an analog multimeter.<br /> leave the oiling system connected but do run on premix while testing. that motor uses a nylon pump drive gear that is prone to failure.<br /> normal cause of failure is rust on the driven gear from storage without fogging.switchbox,stator failures can trigger the alarm module.<br /> the factory manual has a mis-print in the wiring diagram for the fuel pump/injectors. they should be hot any time the battery is connected, some will only be hot with the key on. the pump is activated by the ECU internal grounding same as the injectors.<br />the ECU compltes the ground to activate the pump and the injectors.<br /> the factory manual 90-816249 has faulty wireing diagrams as they show battery voltage applied to the grn/white switchbox lead :) :) . check the supply voltage for the pump red wire with the key on. if no voltage is present find the break in the red wire.<br /> also try moving the green lead from the alarm module to a different switchbox coil primary terminal.<br />if the switchbox is going,and they fail a lot, it can toggle a false alarm.<br />it requires some test equipment an and understanding of electronics and EFI priciples to diagnose this motor. crappy electronics was normal but ECU failures were rare.<br />the factory service manual actually has some decent descriptions on how the various systems work.

stuarttz

Recruit

Thanks for your reply, confused me a bit though (unfortunately I am not too techinical in this regard). <br /><br />My three problems are:<br /><br />1. Fuel pump does not work. Fuel pump is fine and so is ECU. I have tested the positive and I get 12v to the pump. What other factors could cause the fuel pump not to run ? <br /><br />2. Kill Switch. When I connected the kill switch wires to the switchboxes the engine does not start, just turns over, if I disconnect the kill switch wires from the switchboxes then I can get it to run. Could this be a switchbix failure ? When you mention mercury switch, is this the unit unit the ignition at the throttle ?<br /><br />3. Oil Alarm. Initially when my stator packed up this when when the oil alarm started and nothing I do will turn it off. If the oil sensor is fine what could cause this ?<br /><br />I do have the service manual but cannot find any references to alarms and solving the problems. This is as well as the fuel pump problem I have. <br /><br />Do you have any ideas ? Thanks for your help !