New ignition/choke switch installation

skloczko

Seaman Apprentice
Hi I recently bought a new ignition/push choke switch for my 1975 mercury 1150, but the wires colors' dont match up and it doesnt come with directions for which wires are for which purpose. My harness has black, yellow (to neutral start inter-lock switch), red, 2 whites i think (one to choke switch and one to harness), and salmon. The new switch I bought has; a purple by it self, 2 yellows next to eachother (one with black stripe, one with red stripe), a black with a yellow stripe by it self, and then a red and a black next to eachother. Any idea what I am suppose to be connecting here?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Sean

Laddies

Banned
Re: New ignition/choke switch installation

That is the brand of the switch and part number

skloczko

Seaman Apprentice

managed to figure it out with a little wiring know how and some trial and error, thanks tho!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i've seen them on ebay

Laddies

Banned

When I cked that web site it says that switch is for magneto ign. that means that it would work on alt. driven Cd but your engine has a dist. on it meaning that is battery CD also the wire color codes are right for alt. CD so I think you have the wrong switch. Sorry for the news

steinjo

Seaman Apprentice

Having same problem. Bought a used pontoon with a 90 hp Mercury sn# 0G556703 that didn't have keys...<br /><br />Thought it would be simple to change the ignition switch.<br /><br />Well, it has the "push to choke" feature and it has the following configuration in a counterclockwise order:<br /><br />red /purple<br />red<br />black / yellow<br />red / yellow<br />black<br />black<br />purple <br />purple<br />black / yellow (not being used)<br />black / yellow <br /><br />Any idea where to get this switch or how to even begin to look? If tried several marine parts stores and it seems that no one sells ignitions with keys.