1989 Mariner 4hp, telltale water is a little warm

loctopus

Cadet
I have 1989 Mariner 4hp engine (6E0S series), that starts on the first pull, but when it runs the water that comes out of the telltale is slightly warm, and the pressure is somewhat less than it should be. Do I need a new water pump, or just a new impeller, or do I have a different problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Mariner 4hp, telltale water is a little warm

i would watch it. it's still cool up there. i thought mine was warm in december, but now in 90 degree day in Fla, it seems ok. catch some in a jar and put the meat thermo in with it as it runs.

loctopus

Cadet

thanks I will try that, but the water pressure also seems a little weak which worries me ( I am used to my Evinrude Ficht 175 what really shoots water). I thought it might be caked with salt from sitting during winter, so I used an air hose to try and blow the telltale free, and that helped a little.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use a piece of heavy weedeater string. in the south it should be standard equip on a boat. mud dobbers (like wasp) like to build nest in a orifice they can get into.

studlymandingo

Commander

How long since an impeller replacement? I replace mine every season, they can look to be in good shape, just like new, but not put out as much as they should because the rubber is weakened. Cheap insurance, have one come apart when you are away from shore, you'll wish you had paid the 40 bucks and spent the 30 minutes to replace!

loctopus

Cadet

Studlymandingo,<br />I am not sure, as I was just given the engine, will replace the impeller and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

waterinthefuel

Commander

Every year is a bit much. We've been told every 3 years by our boat mechanic, and we've got as long as 5-7 and never had a problem. They are used exclusively in fresh water though.