65hp mercury

dougr3

Recruit
my 65hp mercury doesn't seem to want to start. when i finally get it started it runs fine until i turn it off. when i start it up again sometimes it takes awile before it will run. i ran carb cleaner through it but that seems to have made it run worse. someone told me i might need a new power pack. when you have it in neutral and start to take off it wants to cut off on me too. i've only got $500.00 in it and i would like to know if its worth fixing or not?ive also replaced lower unit and spark plugs too.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 65hp mercury

First, don't ever run carb cleaner through a 2-stroke motor. They rely on the oil mixed in the gas for lubrication.<br /><br />Your motor issues sound like fuel problems. I would bet that the carbs just needs to be cleaned/rebuilt.<br /><br />As for if its worth the money to invest, I'd check a few things before making assumptions;<br /><br />Check the compression on each cylinder. They should be equal to each other or within 10 to 15% maximum.<br /><br />Check the oil in the lower unit, by loosening the drain screw just enough to drain out an ounce or so. It shouldn't be milky. If its dark green/black you're prbably fine. Not a bad idea to change the fluid anyways. Watch for metal particles if/when you drain it, which could be a sign of worn out gears.<br /><br />Inspect the wiring for bare/brittle portions and fix what is.<br /><br />Other than that if it checks out ok, and runs ok, I bet it just needs a little maintenance to be as good as new.<br /><br />Oh and if it runs fine once it is started, its likely not a powerpack problem. Could be a weak spark, but hard starting is typically fuel related. Pump the fuel bulb firm before attempting to start it.<br /><br />Good luck.