Dangerous flywheel?

lede

Cadet
Hi,<br /><br />Once (because I had no correct puller and I had to replace the stator) I had to remove the flywheel "incorrectly" by opening the 8 bolts from the center hub of 50-hp 4-cyl from 80's. I tried to be careful when putting the flywheel back but there is a good chance that the balance of the wheel is lost or decreased at least. The engine is still running good but is it safe to run the engine at high RPMs anymore? I mean, can the flywheel explode or will it damage the upper bearing because of this possible unbalance?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dangerous flywheel?

if it's not balanced, yes to all. fix it.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Lede, I have removed the outer ring of my flywheel many times, without issue. If you can detect an unbalance, it is likely due to loss of a magnet, which means you need to repair or replace. If not, it should be OK to use. My '77 motor's outer flywheel is stamped steel with rivited magnets. It is pretty rugged.

lede

Cadet

I quess that the flywheel is centralized with about 1 millimeter tolerance to the original position. I can't notice any unbalance or abnormal vibration when the engine is running, so I guess that it should be OK then. IF the flywheel was dangerously unbalanced e.g. if one magnet is missing, it should give a good vibrations? :)