'99 Merc ELPTO 90 HP electric primer choke

I wasn't able to find anything while performing the search feature so I'll ask a question.<br /><br />My boat is VERY HARD to start when it's cold, but once it's started and warm it runs great. I can shut the engine off and barely hit the key and it will fire right up.<br /><br />I'm assuming that this is a choke issue. I called Merc and gave them my serial number (OG867126) and they stated that I have an electric primer choke and NOT a butterfly system.<br /><br />What is involved in changing out the electric primer choke system and what's the difficulty level. Thanks in advance....

Laddies

Banned
Re: '99 Merc ELPTO 90 HP electric primer choke

Read the posts that you were on yesterday and learn to use the primer system, it's a better system thats why Mercury went to it. To convert you would need carbs and linkage that would be expencive and a step backwards, if you still feel the need to change, find a doner engine some where

Laddies,<br /><br />I'm confused. Are you saying to convert to the primer system I would need new carbs and linkage or to fix my existing setup that I would need new carbs and linkage?<br /><br />I also found the solenoid that you spoke of on yesterdays post and tried to do what you stated to no avail (motor didn't crank). By the way, the solenoid does click when I push the ignition in.

An update.....my boat acts like on the first key turn that it wants to start. On each key turn therafter it acts like it isn't getting fire. Man, I don't know what's going on. This is frustrating :mad:

Laddies

Banned

You have a primer already on the engine, you must and must find out if it is working, first pull the larger of the 3 hoses from the primer to see if there is fuel getting to the inlet, if there is remove the smaller hoses and try to primer the engine to see if the primer soliniod is letting fuel thru when it's actived. If there is not fuel getting to the primer follow the line to the fitting that supplies fuel remove that end of the hose to see if you have fuel there and so on till you track the problem down

Laddies

Banned

I must have been typing when you posted last, I not much of a typer. Take a squirt can and squirt fuel in the carbs to see if it starts to tell if you have a fuel problem

I removed the hose that connects from the primer bulb to the electric primer and I'm getting flow when I pump the bulb.<br /><br />I also disconnected the other hose and when I push the ignition key in fuel squirts out of the electric primer so I'm getting flow through. Here's the thing though....if I don't keep the bulb pumped up tight the electric primer won't continually spit out fuel out the return line (maybe that's normal).<br /><br />I did take the air box cover off and squirt some gas in each carb (the butterfly on each carb was closed) and it still wouldn't crank.

Laddies

Banned

Are you advancing thr throttle before you try to crank the engine over. Once you pump the bulb up the fuel pump should keep fuel available to the primer when cranking the engine

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

Like all of the above...advance the throttle and push the key in until it pops (lots of choke). Once it gives you the initial pop you can probably start it without the choke. And don't worry, these engines are difficult to flood.

The primer bulb is pumping up hard. When you say "advance the throttle"......exactly what do you mean by that?

You remember the little kid in the corner of the room with the dunce hat on his head?.....That kid is me :D . I'll tell you why I'm a dodo.<br /><br />My first boat purchased had a Yamaha 4 stroke, so naturally it's a different animal than the motor that I'm dealing with now (2 stroke). Anyway, I bought this boat used and the guy that I bought it from had barely run it and he didn't tell me a lot about the boat (I bought the boat last summer). Anyway, I noticed the "Advanced throttle" button by the stick that controls forward and reverse, but have never used it.......until this morning.<br /><br />Anyway, I went out to my boat this morning, primed the bulb till tight, turned the key and pushed it in to choke, hit the advanced throttle button, and BAM!!! The motor started right away but ran rough (first start this year). I was able to get it going by using the "Advanced Throttle" button.......now I know why it's there
poke.gif
<br /><br />I do have another question though.....is it true that oil injection isn't as good for your motor as compared to pre-mixing?

Laddies

Banned

The injection thing is a old wifes tale. Glad to hear it's starting, get her to the lake

Originally posted by Laddies:<br /> The injection thing is a old wifes tale. Glad to hear it's starting, get her to the lake
It'll be there within the next couple of hours!

I'm tempted to throw the boat and motor in the water :mad: . I took the boat down to the launch ramp and no start again.<br /><br />Here is another thing the boat is doing....on the first key turn there is a pop like it wants to crank. After the first key turn it sounds like it isn't getting fire at all. Also, when I turn the key for awhile there is gas dripping out of the air box at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Laddies

Banned

If the tether switch is on find the black yellow wire at the switch box ans disconnect it then try to restart the engine, with the wire disconnected the engine won't turn off but it will tell you if the switchs and wiring in the harness are all right, that sounds like a bad switch

Laddies,<br /><br />The black/yellow wire that I disconnected was connected with two black/yellow wires feeding into it. I'm hoping that was the right disconnect.<br /><br />Anyway, I disconnected the wire and nothing changed. Once again, it pops at the first key turn, but absolutely nothing with each subsequent turn of the key.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Yesterday I went through the process for this engine with someone who had a Merc 3000 remote control problem.<br /><br />I have a '02 90 and have a similar problem. I attribute it to the EPA requrement for the engine mfgrs to reduce emissions significantly which means lean, which means cold sensitive.<br /><br />Nothing wrong with your engine but EPA guidelines. Read my thread.<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Go to Boat Topics, "Merc 3000 Controller Information."<br /><br />Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I lied. Quicksilver 3000, not Merc 3000.<br /><br />Sorry,<br /><br />Mark