2.4 timing issue

82RAYSONCRAFT

Seaman
I've been trying to find out why my 2.4 idles so bad up to about 1800-2000 rpm and runs fine the rest of the way to 6000. <br />Here,s what i got and done.<br />Stock 1981 225 chrome bore, wh20 carbs and fuel pump rebuilt, compression 109-113 on all (looks like i need to decarb as top of pistons have visible black carbon buildup).<br />Today I checked pointer position in relation to TDC and .150 back from that shows 25 degree's BTDC. Right where it should be according to what I've read on here. Started it to check timing and it's way off at idle. I would say maybe 30-34 degrees ATDC from what i can estimate as the last timing marks are off to the left about an inch or so. My Seloc manual states I have the high speed advance module. Would this affect the low speed timing if not disconnected at test? My understanding it is for advancing timing over 5600 rpm.<br /><br />Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to go to the local merc dealer.

DOCD9501

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2.4 timing issue

I do know my manual and any others that have the advance states to disconnect the module. Also i was told with Mecrurys BTDC is before top dead and ATDC is above top dead not at top dead good luck.